PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh Plus with custom internal hard drive found!

jeremybh1
22nd July 2014, 08:28 PM
Hi Everyone

Locally (Canberra, Australia) it's nearly impossible to find Macintosh gear for sale which adds to my excitement.

Today has been an outstanding day for Macintosh in my collection. Complete with keyboard, mouse, power cable, all original manuals, disks and the box that holds such accessories.

You'll never guess or expect quite a unique Mac Plus!

They said it 'had tetris on it' which I assumed meant one of the System floppies had a copy of Tetris on it. Quite the opposite. IT HAS A CUSTOM BUILT IN HARD DRIVE! [:-O]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLjOsV-1IkM

I've never heard of this, or seen it! And we know how much I read up on Apple forums…..

Secondly the time and date were correct on first boot with the original PRAM battery! What the?!

I just wanted the mouse (I've looked for like 6 months) but to have this unique beast… And 4 mb of RAM too. I took a video with it's case off but I was too nervous to slide out the logic board to have a look. It boots System 7.5 and seems stable. I carefully adjusted the CRT while the case was off and I'd give it a 8/10.

Your thoughts on this mod?

Orestes
22nd July 2014, 08:35 PM
Someones read the pin outs for the SCSI cable and soldered a data cable to the board. An interesting hack, I think I read about it in an old copy of MacWorld way back in the late 90s, whoever owned it must have been an enthusiast at some point. It's not a straight forward task.

Byrd
23rd July 2014, 01:18 PM
That's a truly unique mod - makes a lowly Mac Plus a lot more versatile. Does the modification look old, as old as the machine or do you think it was more recently done? I wouldn't plug an external SCSI device into the back though with this mod. I'd also check that the solder points look OK, being a DIY job it can be quite fragile.

Many SEs, including those with dual floppy drives had third-party internal hard disks - usually a metal mesh frame which stood the drive up vertically attached to the SE's internal frame, opposite the analog board. I've come across several like this. My most recent SE found had a really nice red aluminium CNC milled internal HD 3.5" bracket bolted on in a similar vein - one of the nicer third-party upgrades I've seen. It was a nice surprise to come across when I cracked open the case.

JB

dodofleet
5th August 2016, 04:17 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but nice find jeremybh1 :-) I had an SE which had this hack Byrd. I'm in Victoria and was wondering where you go to find your old apple gear besides ebay? I remember in the late 90s, school clearing sales were a treasure trove of old Mac stuff.