PDA

View Full Version : How can I obtain an empty box for a Macbook Pro (A1278) Mountain Lion

DarkAvenger
11th July 2014, 09:40 PM
I'm after an empty box in flawless condition (or as close to) preferably the Mountain Lion version else the current Mavericks version. I've tried asking around resellers like Dick Smith or JB Hi Fi who are really the only two resellers in Canberra. I've also asked at the Apple Store and I've also tried eBay, but no luck anywhere. There are some empty boxes on eBay, but mostly for the Macbook Air or the Snow Leopard or Lion Macbook Pro ie no Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

Does anyone here have one they don't want or what other ways might I be able to obtain one?

Also once I get the new box is it enough to change the ID (serial number) of the computer to match the ID on the box? What about the Airport, Ethernet and Bluetooth IDs? Will these need to be changed as well to match those listed on the box?

leon
12th July 2014, 07:22 AM
What are your intentions for the box? Are you trying to sell the laptop "with box" to get more money or to make shipping easier?

I understand from a collectors point of view with vintage machines that match serials on box and machine = more money, but your machine isn't desirable from a collectors point if view so I don't understand why having matching numbers is important.

gehenna
12th July 2014, 01:43 PM
No this doesn't sound dodgy at all....

DarkAvenger
13th July 2014, 03:27 AM
What are your intentions for the box? Are you trying to sell the laptop "with box" to get more money or to make shipping easier?I understand from a collectors point of view with vintage machines that match serials on box and machine = more money, but your machine isn't desirable from a collectors point if view so I don't understand why having matching numbers is important.No, I'm just very fussy with everything and my box is damaged on the bottom - noticeably crumpled in one corner, I suspect from the force of the shrinkwrap being put on the box, and it would be nice to have a mint looking/defect free box as all the boxes for my Macs are in really nice mint shape, except this one, as I like to keep the boxs. I found a programme on the net that can change the serial number of any Intel Mac, though I suppose if/when I decide to sell the laptop I'll just sell it with the box it came in, but I would still like a spare box in mint shape to keep for my collection.

leon
13th July 2014, 10:51 AM
The serial changer only works on blank boards with no serial number. If you try it on something with a serial it doesn't work.

I would just get a "mint box" for display and not bother with changing serials. Who in their right mind is going to look at your box collection and then fire up your laptop to confirm matching numbers = no one.

DagrtheSnide
13th July 2014, 02:33 PM
Who on their right mind is going to look at your box collection and then fire up your laptop to confirm matching numbers = no one.

I'll put money on that DarkAvenger would confirm that serial numbers match.

Right mind ?