PDA

View Full Version : Floureon Batteries Thoughts Macbook

bwolf77
6th July 2014, 08:44 PM
Thoughts on the Floureon Batteries for Macbooks...
http://i.imgur.com/LdxTKsH.jpg
see link here Battery FOR Apple Macbook PRO 15 PRO Unibody A1281 A1286 2008 MB772J A MB470 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Battery-for-Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-Pro-Unibody-A1281-A1286-2008-MB772J-A-MB470-/141229631519?pt=AU_Laptop_Accessories&hash=item20e1f1281f&_uhb=1)

specs are below:
Brand: FLOUREONŽ
. Chemistry: Lithium
. Cell Type: Genuine Lithium Cobaltate
. Voltage: 10.8V
. Capacity: 5200mAh
. Battery Cell: 6 Cells
. Battery Power: 56Wh
. Color: Silver Grey
. Warranty : 12 Months
. Dimension: 249.20 x 78.00 x 11.00 mm

My question is, has anybody bought one of these? If so how have they performed? Are they a good unit? etc.
Thanks
Bob W

Byrd
6th July 2014, 09:04 PM
Just another generic brand like the others - but most eBay batteries I've bought have been fine and work well, they don't tend to last as long as the Apple branded ones (think years though, not months).

bwolf77
6th July 2014, 10:05 PM
have just purchased one for my late 08 MB Pro, 2088 days old at 185 load cycles my current battery is so think it is time for an upgrade :|

milliedog
7th July 2014, 07:30 AM
Slightly off topic, but I have similar vintage aluminium macbook with 900+ charges, still gets about 2 hours of run time :)

leon
7th July 2014, 08:29 AM
What you need to pay attention to are your console logs and the charge light indicator.

With the el cheapo batteries I've tried for my MacBook over the past year, they've all had problems.
The OEM Apple batteries all have a serial number that OS checks for. With the generics, they don't have a serial number that conforms to what the OS is looking for. Thus multiple errors are reported every second which chews up around 10% of CPU cycles and results in the generation of very large log files.

I've also had every generic battery overcharge as they don't seem to have the circuitry that communicates back to the Macbook that it has finished charging, thus they overheat from the constant charging.

I decided that these cheap Chinese knockoffs weren't worth the fire risk.

With all the stories lately about knock off chargers killing people, I think the risk of saving some money on unknown quality is crazy.

bwolf77
7th July 2014, 08:54 AM
What you need to pay attention to are your console logs and the charge light indicator.

With the el cheapo batteries I've tried for my MacBook over the past year, they've all had problems.
The OEM Apple batteries all have a serial number that OS checks for. With the generics, they don't have a serial number that conforms to what the OS is looking for. Thus multiple errors are reported every second which chews up around 10% of CPU cycles and results in the generation of very large log files.

I've also had every generic battery overcharge as they don't seem to have the circuitry that communicates back to the Macbook that it has finished charging, thus they overheat from the constant charging.

I decided that these cheap Chinese knockoffs weren't worth the fire risk.

With all the stories lately about knock off chargers killing people, I think the risk of saving some money on unknown quality is crazy.

So basically I should have paid the extra $17 for the genuine Apple battery. I'll see how the Floureon goes. Thanks anyway.

leon
7th July 2014, 07:29 PM
So basically I should have paid the extra $17 for the genuine Apple battery. I'll see how the Floureon goes. Thanks anyway.

I've not tried Floureon. If they have built their batteries properly to prevent the issues above then that would be great.
If not, then please post your findings

bwolf77
7th July 2014, 07:42 PM
I've not tried Floureon. If they have built their batteries properly to prevent the issues above then that would be great.
If not, then please post your findings

This is from their website...
Floureon offers replacement laptop batteries of various brands, including Acer, Apple, Asus, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba and etc.

- Comparable with the original batteries, with excellent quality and much more favorable prices;
- Safe and durable;
- A fast charge, longer life;
- Grade "A" cells, high-quality raw materials.

They seem like a decent sized company so I hope that they produce somewhat reliable batteries...Floureon.com (http://www.floureon.com/products_battery.html)

happyfrappy
9th July 2014, 07:34 AM
Leon makes a few great points at the risk of 3rd party batteries, going by photos of Floureon batteries via Amazon.com looks like they could be re-branded Anker batteries. When I bought a 3rd party battery for my old PowerBook it was made by Anker with similar markings.

As far as reliability of 3rd party batteries, you're taking a chance/risk the maker uses cheaper battery cells or is re-packing refurbished Apple battery circuit board or knock-off clone circuit board. Keep in mind 3rd party batteries usually don't support auto-sleep after the low battery alert so don't be surprised of an abrupt MacBook Pro shutdown--a friend of mine learned that mistake.

bwolf77
9th July 2014, 08:11 PM
Okay Guys appreciate your feedback. Today I received the battery and it doesn't even fit the pins on my Macbook. It definitely matches up with what the ad descriptions states on their ebay advertisement, however the battery doesn't even click down onto the main connector.
What a poorly made, cheap, crappy product!
Looks identical to the original, except for the main connector.
I am not willing to use more than reasonable force to insert the battery into the slot, as I am afraid it might bend the main board socket pin connectors.

Not too happy about this one! Have already purchased a genuine battery for $72 on ebay.
All that time spent researching the Floureon Battery and this happens within the initial stages of attempting to fit it.

Floureon Batteries- you get no points for quality from me!
What a joke!

Thanks guys for all your feedback, I appreciate it immensely.

FOR OTHERS NEEDING A NEW MACBOOK BATTERY, STAY AWAY FROM FLOUREON BATTERIES. THEY'RE CHEAP! THEY'RE NASTY!
SEE ATTACHED PIC...
http://i.imgur.com/LdxTKsH.jpg

Regards,
Bobby.

happyfrappy
10th July 2014, 04:19 PM
Are you sure they didn't mix up the battery with a MacBook instead of a MacBook Pro? There was a dealer on Amazon who did a similar thing with iBook G3/G4 vs PowerBook G4 and it turned out there was a mixup on the ASIN(Amazon barcode)

bwolf77
10th July 2014, 07:24 PM
positive. the ad stated it would fit A1286 - Late 2008 Macbook Pro