PDA

View Full Version : Safari 1.2

Disko
3rd February 2004, 08:37 AM
What do people think of the new Safari?

Resumable downloads are a pleasant feature - i also like the extra tabbed browsing options.

Are there any changes that i've missed?

Disko
3rd February 2004, 10:37 AM
issue/bug #1:

when i view this page: http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/
Safari quits. Anyone else have this issue? Or is it just my setup?

Cory5412
3rd February 2004, 12:07 PM
OmniWeb is a competing product, maybe apple programmed that to happen :)

Disko
3rd February 2004, 12:09 PM
if you turn all your java off, then the page/site loads fine... so i dare say that it's omniweb's fault.

markove
3rd February 2004, 02:32 PM
A web page shouldn't crash the browser. This is Safari's / Apple's java's problem.

Disko
3rd February 2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah, markove - i agree. It shouldn't, but i've got a bizaare trust for apple when it comes to safari supporting w3 standards. Either way, it's the only problem i've found in the new version.

I've sent the bug report to apple about that page anyway. :)

jameso
3rd February 2004, 10:32 PM
i can tab between links. mozilla has just been retired. so sad

jameso

[edit] omingroup.com loads for me with out a problem

markove
3rd February 2004, 11:01 PM
Works for me. Check java -version.

Cory5412
3rd February 2004, 11:16 PM
Interesting...

I installed it last night and it wanted me to :GASP: restart my mac, now my TiBook has like, a 75 day uptime (I'll actually check that soon) and that is just not acceptable, so just a heads up that it works without restarting if yuo want to do that :P (I did ;))

Yeah, I know that a webpage shouldn't crash a browser, browsers just crash themselves,a ndthey're so often so good at it! ;)

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard somewhere (*maybehere) that safari has continuable downloads, a very welcome feature for me, a dialupper :)

Secoa
4th February 2004, 06:32 AM
I downloaded Safari 1.2 and Java 1.4.2 and the websites that previously wouldn't load now do. Before anyone answers I realise that the error was at the web page end rather than Safari.

That been said I have more reasons not to use another browser. :)

I had a quick look at the Omniweb page and I cannot see a problem here.

Thanks

jameso
4th February 2004, 07:35 AM
speaking of the omni group doesn't omni web 5 come out today?

jameso

Disko
4th February 2004, 08:38 AM
yeah, i'm going to re-install java. Because it crashes every time for me still...