PDA

View Full Version : MBP 13 Retina refurb vs new

zigzagler
22nd June 2014, 01:05 PM
Hey guys,

Anyone of you using the late Oct 2013 MBP 13" Retina with 16GB RAM OR the Feb 2013 model with 16GB RAM?

I'm contemplating whether it's worthwhile buying a refurb Feb 13 model & upgrade the RAM myself to 16GB + 512 OWC SSD or just buy the latest model 2.6Ghz 8Gb/512SSD instead since the latter is soldered onto the motherboard?

Cheers,
Rob

Deanodriver
22nd June 2014, 03:56 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the RAM soldered to the motherboard on all Retina MBPs? The current ones definitely are, it says so on the Apple website when doing a custom order. I didn't think the first 13" retinas offered 16GB of RAM either.

If you want a 13" rMBP with 16GB RAM, you may have to either wait until one pops up on the refurb store or just bite the bullet and go new.

zigzagler
23rd June 2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm getting a bit confused with all the Retinas MBP these days...haven't been following up with the MBP product cycle since 2011 since I bought my last MBA....& way back when I first bought the first unibody MBP back in 2009...gee....time really flies.

I supposed my question was for people who own a MBP that has 16GB, is it worth it? Cause custom order doesn't have 10% discount atm...I have been using 8GB on my super old MBP and it has served me well I reckon...

Cheers!