PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts/Opinions on OSX 10.10 Yosemite

Oldmacs
3rd June 2014, 08:46 PM
Mactalk seems very quiet considering we've had the announcements of two major updates, to iOS and mac OSX.

Soooo what are your thoughts on the new Mac OSX?

Personally I dislike the new icons, and I don't like some of the new window design. I do like the new features but was surprised as I thought there were going to be more given the rumours of people being pulled off iOS development. Possibly more features are on the way. However I have found this release to be a lot more impressive then Mavericks and possibly Mountain Lion :)

lawrencium
3rd June 2014, 10:05 PM
I think Yosemite is really a desktop OS for the current "post-PC" era: the UI is definitely stark in comparison to previous OS X versions, however I think we've come to expect it given the iOS redesign last year.

I can't imagine it being too confronting for users, as the icons still seem to resemble their predecessors (especially the Contacts icon). It actually looks quite pleasing, and not as harsh in terms of brightness.

iMic
3rd June 2014, 10:55 PM
Early word is that Yosemite will run on the same systems as Mavericks and Mountain Lion.

* iMac (Mid-2007 or later)

* MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)

* MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),

* MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)

* MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)

* Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)

* Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)

* Xserve (Early 2009)

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be true at this stage. It would mean that those Mid 2007 model systems will officially be supported until Mid 2015 when the next OS release is due - or 8 years.

It also means that the Mid 2007 models can officially run 7 different versions of Mac OS, including Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite, or in other words, every Intel version of OS X ever released.

That isn't bad, no matter how you slice it.

Oldmacs
3rd June 2014, 11:10 PM
It is true :) It runs on any fully 64 Bit Mac that runs 10.8.6 and 2 GB of ram.

Its crazy to think you could have started with Tiger and still be supported today!!

Its full circle, because the dock is back to looking like the tiger one :P

And who knows... 10.11 might support it as well? No reason for it not too if you think of it, if Apple isn't going to introduce some crazy hardware taxing features.

It still sucks that my old Macbook white from 2008 was dropped because Apple couldn't be bothered to write a driver, but hey thats the way it goes.

harryb2448
4th June 2014, 08:34 AM
Well let's hope the specs do not change prior to release.

When Mountain Lion was with developers, ran on 32bit. Was hanged to 64bit at, from memory, gold release.

Oldmacs
4th June 2014, 08:52 AM
But the original specs for Mountain Lion stated that only 64 bit Macs could run it (Well Macs Apple had bothered to write a 64 bit driver for), just out of luck didn't the original Beta include a 32 bit kernel?

rpjallan
4th June 2014, 02:55 PM
I just hope they fix all the bugs that have plagued Mavericks but I doubt it...

The_Hawk
4th June 2014, 03:23 PM
My code isn't registering in the App Store so I can't download the OSX beta, as an iOS Dev I have access to iOS8, but it's not something I want to be running on a daily iPhone or iPad just yet.

Oldmacs
4th June 2014, 04:30 PM
I wish the icon and text in 10.10 weren't so childish :(

carlow1
4th June 2014, 06:19 PM
I run Mavericks on my 2008 imac with 4GB ram and it's horrible. My imac is almost unusable. No way I'm putting Yosemite on this machine. I'll upgrade to a new imac with the next update and roll this machine back to Lion.

kyte
5th June 2014, 09:18 AM
Interesting that prior to Mountain Lion, there was a release every TWO years. Not every year. Why is that, I wonder.

In the meantime, does anyone see a compelling reason to upgrade, so far?

gehenna
5th June 2014, 09:30 AM
^Yep... Continuity

Oldmacs
5th June 2014, 09:42 AM
I run Mavericks on my 2008 imac with 4GB ram and it's horrible. My imac is almost unusable. No way I'm putting Yosemite on this machine. I'll upgrade to a new imac with the next update and roll this machine back to Lion.

Have you thought of upgrading the ram or doing a clean install? Mavericks shouldn't be that bad. In fact on older hardware I've found Mountain Lion and Mavericks are better than Lion.

What are the rules on posting about our experiences with beta software? I've forgotten.

Oldmacs
5th June 2014, 09:45 AM
Interesting that prior to Mountain Lion, there was a release every TWO years. Not every year. Why is that, I wonder.

SMS/Phonecalls, Possible improved performance, iCloud Drive, today view in Notifications centre, the new safari tabs view looks better, mail drop.

I was initially very excited, but I think that iOS 8 is what I'm excited about, Yosemite looks underwhelming. I wish the finder had been revamped, along with more functionality across the built in applications, rather than just a new design.

Mctastic
5th June 2014, 10:22 AM
Definitely Mountain Lion(better than Lion) & Mavericks is just fine, give or take .....
Consider(cost aside) that SSD is in almost every mac today. I've moved my entire Mac environment(work) onto SSD, including older(up to 6 year old) systems. This changes the whole game. I've had to compromise & run off 256GB SSD(cost) & learnt to change my hoarding ways. :D
I do use a retina 13" MBP & it blazes along effortlessly. Also supports all of my software needs given i need to administer Macs as well as PC's in my day to day.

gehenna
5th June 2014, 02:57 PM
What are the rules on posting about our experiences with beta software? I've forgotten.

Suppose that depends on where you sourced the software from - i.e. whether you agreed to the NDA or not.

kyte
5th June 2014, 03:25 PM

The NDA says you don't post about anything that is not available to the public. So pretty much nothing. Unless you never agreed to an NDA.

paronga
5th June 2014, 07:40 PM
The most compelling reason to upgrade is the new API's.
These new API's ushers us in a new era of connectivity between our stationary devices (desktop/laptop) and our mobile devices (iPhone/iPad/laptop). And in a very human way (finally). None of this nonsense iCloud syncing (even if the tech will be based on iCloud services). When your devices are physically close by, they'll begin to interact. Seriously - sounds so simple and obvious, but it's quite complicated to get right. What does the user expect?

These devices (from desktop to iPhone) are finally starting to become device we can use to sort out our day to day lives comfortably. I remember back in the day, you could sync you iPad with you mac - by cable - and get your iCal events and contacts and notes (back when it was just a folder). And it was horrible. You could do the same with newtons and Palms, but it's only now starting to get useful.

This has been a long time coming but our devices will finally start to, in a primitive way, interact with their environment: geofences, iBeacons and bluetooth 4.0 are their sensor inputs and it's coming alive.

That's why you'd want to upgrade. It's all that's really new (except swift, but that's behind the scenes) and it's massive.

james the 2nd
5th June 2014, 08:29 PM
Good post paronga!

Exciting things to come..

Oldmacs
5th June 2014, 08:32 PM
The NDA says you don't post about anything that is not available to the public. So pretty much nothing. Unless you never agreed to an NDA.

Well thats what I assumed. Just checking :) :)

But anything I know off the keynote/forums/apple website is fine because its not derived from my own knowledge? Thats where I get confused.

iMic
5th June 2014, 09:40 PM
Have you thought of upgrading the ram or doing a clean install? Mavericks shouldn't be that bad. In fact on older hardware I've found Mountain Lion and Mavericks are better than Lion.

I'm currently running Mavericks on my MacBook Pro (Penryn, Early 2008) with 4GB RAM. Personally, I believe Mavericks benefits from having 6GB or more. I'm running on a MacBook Air with 8GB RAM - and yes, I know the SSD helps - but using iStat I could see the machine hitting the RAM ceiling almost constantly. With 6GB or more, it doesn't have that issue.

As for a reason to upgrade to Yosemite - the APIs.

Now, I'm a traditional kind of user. I don't give a damn about my devices all being in sync. I've become accustomed to and actually like the current Mac OS UI.

With so many changes to the APIs and underpinnings of the operating system though, and with developers wanting to take advantage of these new frameworks and the zero cost of admission to the newest version of the operating system, I would bet that a lot of the newest apps coming out soon will require OS X Yosemite and no less.

For me it's a case of dragging me in kicking and screaming, but I'm used to it by now.

Oldmacs
5th June 2014, 10:24 PM
Agreed Mavericks works better on 8 GB of ram in my experience.

carlow1
5th June 2014, 10:52 PM
According to apple my 2008 imac is maxed out at 4gb ram. I had the HD replaced by Apple a few months ago and did a clean install of mavericks then. It's so bad now almost every mouse click results in a 10 second beachball.

midnight_e
5th June 2014, 11:05 PM
According to apple my 2008 imac is maxed out at 4gb ram. I had the HD replaced by Apple a few months ago and did a clean install of mavericks then. It's so bad now almost every mouse click results in a 10 second beachball.

Are both ram sticks showing up in System Profiler ?
I'm running Mavericks on an early 2009 white Macbook 4GB ram, no problems with it.

Oldmacs
6th June 2014, 12:17 AM
Mavericks runs pretty well on our late 2009 iMac...

Even for a 2009 iMac, thats not right :/

harryb2448
6th June 2014, 08:24 AM
Said it before ~ on MacBook do an erase and clean install of Mavericks.

And 6GB on that iMac carlow1 may well improve it.

SRG
6th June 2014, 09:54 AM
Actually it seems it is bit more open this time with some changes to the wording Apple Has (Partly) Lifted the NDA for Beta Releases (http://oleb.net/blog/2014/06/apple-lifted-beta-nda/)

Smokebelch
10th June 2014, 05:58 PM
Has anyone signed up for the Yosemite Public Beta and been able to download it yet? I've signed myself up for it but haven't received an email yet... don't know if I missed out being one of the 1,000,000!

Thingme
10th June 2014, 06:11 PM
Yeah, had it since the day after the WWDC. Working through it bit by bit.
It has Safari 8 and I hate what's been done to dumb that down, making a real mess of Tabs and the BookMark bar. Due to the NDA, can't say any more.

Smokebelch
10th June 2014, 06:22 PM
So you have the Public Beta that you would have signed up for through https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram

...not the Developer Beta?

gehenna
10th June 2014, 08:03 PM
The public beta isn't happening for a while yet.

Smokebelch
10th June 2014, 08:35 PM
That's good, so I haven't missed out

happyfrappy
9th July 2014, 08:20 AM
At the rate of Apple's OS X releases I'm hoping they break their own Microsoft-like curse, release a solid OS from the start instead of banking on a yearly cycle... ever since Snow Leopard, every other OS has been full of disappointments. Hopefully Yosemite brings Apple back to re-focus upon OS X.

Going to hope Yosemite fixes some of the UI bugs, network shares bug(s), Firewire audio interface glitches and memory compression which seems to make some Macs grind to a crawl for no reason. I've seen a 2011 Mac mini(8GB RAM) grind to a crawl from Mavericks(upgrade & clean install), yet my old slower 2010(13") Core 2 Duo is insanely snappy(2x faster Mountain Lion) in comparison with the same amount of RAM(8GB). Haven't bothered to test Mavericks on a 2007 era Mac, afraid I'd be disappointed or something...

harryb2448
9th July 2014, 09:16 AM
Very surprising happy.

Mavericks has been rock solid from day one, with of course a clean install and adewquate memory (12GB).

Oldmacs
9th July 2014, 04:37 PM
Very disappointed they decided to give it an ugly overhaul rather than new features and stability. Mavericks is very unstable and has many many bugs. I really hate the new icons, and the new safari which all looks so cartoonish. Debating if this will be the first time in years I don't do an OSX update.

Orestes
15th July 2014, 10:53 AM
Mavericks runs pretty well on our late 2009 iMac...

Even for a 2009 iMac, thats not right :/

Mavericks runs faultlessly on my MacBook Pro 13" 2011 model, mind you I have 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD now. It's a massive step up from Lion which was a dog.

TravisM
23rd July 2014, 11:39 PM
Has anyone had many issues with Yosemite in the Beta period? I've signed up for the public beta and I really want to install it tomorrow, on my main computer. But I want peoples thoughts?

All I really need is Microsoft Office and Safari, so I'm thinking I should be ok?

Orestes
24th July 2014, 02:23 AM
My guide is don't, find another disk with some hard drive space on it you can use for experimenting. These kinds of things are never stable enough to be relied upon as your mission critical operating system.

Thingme
24th July 2014, 06:09 AM
Oo no, don't use the public beta as your working OS. Yosemite is unfinished and not stable. My Dev Preview 4 exists on an external Firewire HDD. Installed as such it's awfully slow compared to Mavericks on the SSD. Is Yosemite's slow response because it's in beta or because of the drive it's on? Dunno. But I sure am not going to risk replacing Mavericks as my workhorse at this stage. If you have a spare/unused Mac that's were the preview/beta should be trialled.

Also in the frame this week is iTunes 12 beta. It can only be installed from within Yosemite. It's had a major makeover. The engine is much changed as is its GUI to bring it into line with iOS8.

Oldmacs
24th July 2014, 07:16 AM
Eww itunes 12... It looks terrible. I really quite like the itunes 11 look and thought that osx was going to go that way instead. Between the new visual style, the loss of iPhoto and the new iTunes, I'm not liking the look of Yosemite at all.

I'll also bet that Ios 8 users will be forced into itunes 12, which won't be released for 10.9, 10.8 and 10.7, which will be a big problem for those stuck on macs that prematurely lost support.

kyte
24th July 2014, 09:41 AM
I have not yet upgraded either iOS or OSX. If iPhoto no longer works with it, I am not interested. I'll wait til Photos is released. My main use apart from the usual email and web browsing, *is* photography. I'm only a hobbyist but really... why is that not sorted yet?

Marcsteel
30th July 2014, 10:25 AM
I've been using Yosemite for the past few days and had no issues at all!

Dog Knight
30th July 2014, 10:52 AM
I haven't had much time to play around with it, however, I do not like the colour of the new folder icons. That is all for now.

Back2Bedlam
30th July 2014, 11:22 AM
Has anyone had many issues with Yosemite in the Beta period? I've signed up for the public beta and I really want to install it tomorrow, on my main computer. But I want peoples thoughts?

All I really need is Microsoft Office and Safari, so I'm thinking I should be ok?

If you know how, and you really want to have it on your main computer, create a partition, and install it there. I made the partition 100GB on my rMBP with SSD, it flies. I'd tried it on an External Drive, bit laggy.
Overall it's getting there, few things I don't like, but it's not finished yet, so i'll wait before being too critical. I found a few bugs, and used the feedback app to report them.
If you want to delete the partition after you have used it, you can do that through disk utility, but you will need to boot to Mavericks first, then start up again in Recovery mode (Ctrl R) and delete and resize with the disk utility there.
I've taken it off for now, don't need it, i've had my peek, i'll wait again for a later beta or GM

Alchroma
30th July 2014, 01:16 PM
I've been using Yosemite for the past few days and had no issues at all!

I have trouble downloading HD TV Shows through iTunes. HD stuff will not work.
However SD content downloads and works just fine.
Could you or anyone else following, test and confirm please?

Al

Back2Bedlam
30th July 2014, 01:31 PM
I have trouble downloading HD TV Shows through iTunes. HD stuff will not work.
However SD content downloads and works just fine.
Could you or anyone else following, test and confirm please?

Al

Have you passed this back to Apple thru the Feedback App?

Oldmacs
7th August 2014, 07:42 PM
I gotta say, Yosemite is growing on me... Doesn't look that bad at all now compared to when it was announced :)

ianpgonzaga
8th August 2014, 02:14 PM
I've downloaded the public beta and it's a very nice visual overhaul.
the translucency when browsing is nice and safari is much cleaner

i like that the expand window button puts the view into fullscreen mode instead of having to use the icon on the top right hand like in mavericks
so far no problems with the apps i'm using and no crashes.

non apple icons really stick out like a sore thumb though!

Thermo690
13th September 2014, 10:14 PM

If you can do it........ I love the speed improvements etc.