PDA

View Full Version : Help for water damaged MacBook Pro Air

Liv
3rd June 2014, 04:33 PM
Hi everyone

I'm new the forum so bear with me if this question has been asked already :)

I have a fairly new MacBook Pro Air which I bought mid last year. In March this year I stupidly spilt water on it....everything still worked perfectly fine for a whole two months EXCEPT the battery was no longer charging from the power chord.

Now the power is sitting at 0% so when I hit "on" all I see is an empty red cell.

I've been to a lot of repair stores in Sydney who say "nothing can be done" but being an optimist I really want to know if there is ANY way of recharging / replacing the battery? I know with the retina model the battery is "glued" in which is why I suspect so many repair shops are unwilling to fix it, but surely I am not the only customer with a battery issue so I'm thinking there must be a workable solution to charge the battery to get it working again?

If anyone knows of an expert out there who would be worth talking to please let me know! I've had it for only a year and am on a student budget so really can't afford a brand new one (at almost $2k!) Thanks for any useful advice that you're willing to share.

glacierdave
4th June 2014, 12:03 PM
If you apply water to anything electrical you get a short circuit.

This might be temporary. i.e. when everything dries out it's all good again.

It might not be temporary. i.e. the short circuit causes actual damage to stuff that doesn't go away when everything dries out again.

It might be delayed and not temporary. i.e. it dries out and everything seems OK but then something goes wrong because it wasn't just water but water mixed with other stuff (as simple as water with impurities, as complex as water mixed with other stuff, aka soft drink, coffee, alcohol, etc).

The first problem you're facing is that you don't know what has actually failed.

Sure, it might be the battery. But it also might be the circuits in the laptop responsible for charging the battery. Or something else entirely.

A repair shop is going to look at what's most likely.

In general, a computer that's had liquid in it is living on borrowed time. Any repair may be entirely ineffective or temporary because there's other stuff in the process of going wrong.

So, in asking a repairer to replace the battery they understand that this may fix nothing but they could end up with you not wanting to pay for a failed repair - the parts and labour costs to replace a battery are high enough that they probably don't want to wear that risk. So, they say there's nothing to be done.

Honestly, this is the point at which I'd be telling someone to talk to their insurer (home contents is usually the place this is covered) and claim on insurance instead of doing the repair. In the long run, you'll get a better result.

David