PDA

View Full Version : 10.9.3. Slow and odd behaviour

Buttercup
23rd May 2014, 05:00 PM
I'm having a problem with 10.9.3.on a late 2012 MacBook Pro. It locked up with the desktop partly off screen leaving a black (second desktop?) edge about 10 mil wide down the RH side of the screen with some white lettering just visible. I don't play games and use very little data, ever.

It's painfully slow and sometimes can't even make it to the next webpage. Right now I'm trying to download the Digital Camera Raw update, Safari 7.0.4 & iTunes 11.2.1. It's been downloading for over an hour and is only at 265 MB of 294MB. I have plenty of data left on my internet plan so it hasn't been slowed. (I called them to check that).

Mail is misbehaving as well. After I enter an address it just keeps adding the same address instead of another recipient when I try to address to more than one person.

Looking at Activity Monitor nothing is showing a lot of Memory being used but the summary box at the bottom shows
Physical Memory: 4.00 GB
Memory Used: 3.98 GB
Virtual Memory: 4.00 GB
Swap Used : 0 bytes

The CPU has 97% idle. What has happened to the option to show a pie chart of the disc usage?

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong, please? Jen

SRG
26th May 2014, 10:51 AM
Just giving this a bump to see if anyone can help Buttercup out?

Buttercup
26th May 2014, 03:22 PM
Thank you very much Ozracingwrap! Mail seems to be behaving normally now. Activity monitor is showing the same as before, almost all the memory being used, and the CPU has 97.61 idle. It is moving more quickly between webpages now and the desktop has normalized, that is, no view into the darkness beyond down the right side of the screen. It is not locking up now.

I'd still like to know what caused the erratic behaviour if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks, Jen

Oldmacs
26th May 2014, 05:38 PM
I've had constant problems with Mavericks since day 1.

Try resetting your SMC: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964) as it may help :)

harryb2448
27th May 2014, 08:17 AM
Have read many posts on Mac Forums etc where an upgrade to Mavericks is slow when using a MacBook all varieties. Suggestion is to format and do a clean install.

Alan53
27th May 2014, 11:54 AM
Suggestion is to format and do a clean install.

I'll second that.
Method.
1. Make an additional backup. - Having multiple backups is good insurance because you are going to completely erase the Macís drive during the reinstall process.
2. Download a fresh copy of Mavericks(10.9.3) from the Apple App Store, but DO NOT install it. You will then have a ďInstall OS X MavericksĒ file in your ďApplicationsĒ folder. Use that 5.3 GB file to make a bootable USB installer drive. - You will need a 8GB USB Flash drive and an application like ďDiskMaker_XĒ
3. Boot from the USB installer and use its copy of ďDisk UtilityĒ to erase the Macís drive.
4. Install 10.9.3 from installer drive.
5. When the Setup Assistant asks if you wish to transfer applications, data & settings from another source, connect and select your backup drive.

Purists will argue that if you really want a really clean install, you should manually install each application and individually set it up. - That takes a lot of time and is probably only needed in the rare cases where this is the last resort to fix problems.

Note. If you have lost out in Australiaís Internet access lottery and have an unstable, unreliable Internet connection, then it will be a good idea to obtain your new copy of Mavericks via an alternative reliable method. I have a theory that some of the horror stories about Mavericks have been caused by corrupted downloads that have slipped through the error detection and correction process.

Buttercup
27th May 2014, 01:30 PM
Thank you Oldmacs, Harry and Alan. Itís a relief to know itís not just my Mac with issues.

These are the problems:
1. I have wireless broadband so the download for 10.9.3 may have been corrupted. 10.9.2 was downloaded at the bricks and mortar Apple Store and it seemed to work OK.

2. Not being tech savvy I could probably follow step-by-step instructions to remove my own appendix more readily than I could do a complete remove and reinstall of the OS. Please donít think Iím not appreciative, I am, and Iím sure the info will be valuable for others not so technologically challenged.

3. Regardless of my competence Iíd still face the broadband download speed problems.

4. Given the above constraints is my best solution a trip to the Genius Bar, by appointment? Would they be able to do a complete backup via Firewire or some other fast technology then do the complete reinstall?

I have the three year extended warranty and assistance plan.

Thanks again for explaining the solution. Jen

Alan53
27th May 2014, 03:14 PM
1. I have wireless broadband so the download for 10.9.3 may have been corrupted. 10.9.2 was downloaded at the bricks and mortar Apple Store and it seemed to work OK.

2. Not being tech savvy I could probably follow step-by-step instructions to remove my own appendix more readily than I could do a complete remove and reinstall of the OS. Please donít think Iím not appreciative, I am, and Iím sure the info will be valuable for others not so technologically challenged.

3. Regardless of my competence Iíd still face the broadband download speed problems.

4. Given the above constraints is my best solution a trip to the Genius Bar, by appointment? Would they be able to do a complete backup via Firewire or some other fast technology then do the complete reinstall?

I have the three year extended warranty and assistance plan.

- Another confirmation of my theory of corrupted downloads. IMHO Mobile Wireless Broadband would have to be the worst offender.

Yep. Looks like in your situation a trip to the Genius Bar would be the best bet. Make an appointment explaining your problems.
If you have not got a backup drive...Get One!...Drives will fail! At the very least you should have a 'Time Machine' backup.

Buttercup
27th May 2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks Alan, I do have a backup drive and will do a backup before going to the Genius Bar.

Have I misunderstood something? I thought Time Machine was simply the program that enabled any backup device to do the backup. I use a Time Capsule on my old laptop and a Seagate Drive with the newer MacBook Pro that is experiencing the Maverick problems.

I have 'Automatically Check for updates' in the Apple Store Prefs checked and 'Automatically download in the b'ground' unchecked, however the 10.9.3 downloaded and told me it was ready to install. Is there a workaround to block the automatic downloads which have the potential to exceed my data allowance or bog down because of wireless b'band speed? If I'm forewarned I can temporarily increase my data allowance. The speed would no doubt be an issue for large downloads regardless of the data allowance.

I did a Disc Utility scan and it repaired several permissions. At the end of the scan I got this report:
Total Capacity : 500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 Bytes)
Connection Bus : SATA Write Status : Read/Write
Connection Type : Internal S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

Activity Monitor is still telling me I have 3.12 GB of memory used. I know I have very little used, nothing beyond the Apps that come with the OS. The CPU still has 95 % idle. Confused!

I'll book that appointment.
Thanks, Jen

Oldmacs
27th May 2014, 09:32 PM
Have you done the SMC reset? Sometimes they can fix that sort of stuff.

JimWOz
28th May 2014, 08:11 AM
Jen,
Try a safe boot, followed by a restart and normal boot.
For a safe boot, restart the machine with the shift key held down.
It will boot to the user login screen. Restart normally from here.

A safe boot does not load some extensions, but also cleans some of the system caches, the vm swapfiles and for laptops the sleep image files.
This might sort it.

Rebuilding the system directories is another option, I use Techtool Pro to do this occasionally, and it speeds up the machine.

harryb2448
28th May 2014, 08:51 AM
Also there has been some discussions about problems running software update for OS X.9.3 and the suggestions has been to download the Combu Updater. It is just on a 1GB download and will work with all Macs whereas the update via software probably went half that size.

OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 Update (Combo) (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1746)

Buttercup
28th May 2014, 04:42 PM
Just got home and haven't had the chance to try the suggestions provided as this forum thread won't complete loading. At the bottom of the page it alternates between 'Transferring data from connect.facebook.net' and waiting for woopra.com (?) I DON'T BELONG TO FACEBOOK. Could this be something to do with the problem? Will wait a few minutes to see if anyone can suggest why this is happening then go off-line and try the safe boot. It's been trying to load for about 20 mins. Now to see if this will upload. Jen

Just saw 'Scorecard search' flash by. (?)

Buttercup
29th May 2014, 04:36 PM
Last night I repaired permissions, emptied the cache and removed cookies then followed JimWOz' instructions re the safe boot and performance has improved. Iíve also reset the SMC. Itís no longer hanging up forever between pages on all websites. Thanks for that.

I looked up the Combo Update and it seems that is what I last downloaded, first post in this thread.

This Apple article explain the high memory usage in late model Macs. Itís meant to do that.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/25389916#25389916

and hereís the dirt on ĎScorecard researchí. Reading right through the comments to a post almost at the end explains how it works and why it slows down loading.
Ľ Who Are ScoreCardResearch.com? - Blogger News Network (http://www.bloggernews.net/122771)

When I cleared the cookies I read through them, which I donít usually do and saw that Scorecard research was in there. Itís also always installed when MacTalk is opened. Some other sites I visit only have cookies for that specific site. Before going to the Genius bar I'll monitor b'band connectivity and cookie activity.

Can sites control which cookies are installed?

Thanks for all the good input. Jen

harryb2448
30th May 2014, 08:19 AM
Personally I use Ghostery to prevent all this tracking Buttercup. On this site right now Ghostery is blocking all of the following:-

AddThis
BuySellAds
Effective MEasure
FaceBook Connect
Google Analyctics
OpenX
TweetBoard
VigLink
Woopra

I also do not use Facebooik and who some of them I who knows?

Buttercup
30th May 2014, 01:39 PM
Thanks Harry. Just installed Ghostery and will look forward to a bug-free future. Jen