PDA

View Full Version : Slight speed bump for MacBook Airs

SRG
29th April 2014, 08:46 PM
As reported at the Verge a slight bump in speed for the MacBook Airs http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/29/5662150/apple-updates-macbook-air-latest-intel-processors
Also showing up at the Aussie store but I don't know if the price has changed here as it seems to have in the US.

bennyling
29th April 2014, 09:39 PM
Base model 11-inch same price.
Upper-spec 11-inch $50 cheaper.

Both 13-inch models are also $50 cheaper, so not too bad all around.

entropy
30th April 2014, 06:08 AM
So the pommys and the yanks get a sweet price drop, and the MBAs still only have 4gb of RAM standard, and they aren't user upgradable. Add RAM and a bigger drive and you might as well get a MB pro. At that spec the 11 inch should be $999.

No $100 price drop, example number nnnnnnn why the grey import market is booming, and Australian retail is suffering. People running importing companies must think the Australian consumer are dumb sheep, conditioned by tariffs for generations to pay prices well above those paid by citizens in other countries. The tariffs are gone, but the prices remain, we are still paying rent for those tariffs, long after they have gone.

Oldmacs
30th April 2014, 08:04 AM
This is Crazy stuff. 4GB of ram was acceptable maybe in 2010 and 2011. It would still be semi acceptable if it was user upgradable.

We should have got a bigger price drop. Maybe the current price would be acceptable if 8gb of ram was standard and perhaps the standard 256 GB of storage.

PO15KA
30th April 2014, 11:04 AM
Hi
So what are the new prices? I'm asking because my workplace is offering Mac Book Air 13.3/1.3/4/128flash for $999
Seeing the upgraded ones now, is the offer from my workplace attractive?

Thanks
Marcin

glacierdave
30th April 2014, 12:35 PM
So the pommys and the yanks get a sweet price drop, and the MBAs still only have 4gb of RAM standard, and they aren't user upgradable. Add RAM and a bigger drive and you might as well get a MB pro. At that spec the 11 inch should be $999.

It's fairly cost competitive with US pricing already.

Here's Lifehacker's comparison. (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/04/dealhacker-apple-cuts-some-macbook-air-prices/)

To be honest, it's also fairly cost competitive with similar Windows ultra books too.

Sure, it's not a $500 laptop, but you don't get 10 hours battery life from a $500 laptop either.

David

Steeley
30th April 2014, 02:00 PM
I read a rumour that they may release a retina version of the Air later in the year. What do you guys reckon?

Also, why do the Airs have a grey bezel and the rest have a black bezel? It doesn't really matter, just I just prefer the black of the Pros.

iSilver
30th April 2014, 02:52 PM
why do the Airs have a grey bezel and the rest have a black bezel?

Probably to differentiate them from the MacBook Pro ...

entropy
1st May 2014, 08:57 PM
It's fairly cost competitive with US pricing already.

Here's Lifehacker's comparison. (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/04/dealhacker-apple-cuts-some-macbook-air-prices/)

To be honest, it's also fairly cost competitive with similar Windows ultra books too.

Sure, it's not a $500 laptop, but you don't get 10 hours battery life from a $500 laptop either.

David
Fair enough GD. I should have done the comparison myself before sprouting off.