PDA

View Full Version : iOS 8 ??

Oldmacs
28th April 2014, 02:59 PM
Soooo iOS 8 is probably just over a month away... What is your wish list?

Watch Utility appears on another iOS 8 leak while FaceTime goes down for iOS 6 users (http://www.phonearena.com/news/Watch-Utility-appears-on-another-iOS-8-leak-while-FaceTime-goes-down-for-iOS-6-users_id55316#3-)

These are interesting... Not sure if fake or not, but the one thats in Safari, I reckon (if real) is a 4.7 inch screen, as the current 4inch screen can not fit that much in.

Not sure what this Tips thing is... a help guide??

Also not sure why'd they would bring over text edit or preview? Though its interesting, because both text edit and priview save in the cloud for seemingly no reason (other than moving between macs)

My wish list:

-Up next in music (I loveeee up next on iTunes and use it all the time)
-Improve battery life
-Better performance
-Improved Maps
-Calculator in iPad already!!
-Quick reply notifications
-Better selective backup system

Steeley
28th April 2014, 07:01 PM
I'm really looking forward to iOS 8 because no doubt they're refining some of the things that aren't so great about iOS 7. I just pray that it will work on my ageing iPhone 4S!

My wish list:

Quick reply notifications
The ability to set at least some default apps like mail and browser
Better iCloud sync performance between iOS and OSX
A better Siri for Australia

I'm also hoping the new phone will do something about payment solutions like paypass so hopefully that's built into iOS 8 as well.

entropy
28th April 2014, 08:11 PM
The better Siri for Australia should sound like Scarlet Johannsen. Just don't tell Mrs Entropy.

SRG
28th April 2014, 08:31 PM
If Siri is going to sound like Scarlett I vote Siri should respond in video (don't tell Mrs OzRacing) :-)

davemc
28th April 2014, 09:02 PM
Siri to freaking understand Australian accent ..

Oldmacs
29th April 2014, 05:48 PM
Hahahha great ideas guys ;)

More ideas: :P

- Airplay to multiple speakers on iOS devices
- Airplay to be moved back to the individual Apps
- Guest account
- Tweet and FB from Notifications centre
- Proper Notifications centre weather

kyte
1st May 2014, 06:12 PM
I'm really looking forward to iOS 8 because no doubt they're refining some of the things that aren't so great about iOS 7. I just pray that it will work on my ageing iPhone 4S!

My wish list:

Quick reply notifications
The ability to set at least some default apps like mail and browser
Better iCloud sync performance between iOS and OSX
A better Siri for Australia

I'm also hoping the new phone will do something about payment solutions like paypass so hopefully that's built into iOS 8 as well.

I suspect our 4S phones will be left out next time. Its part of the reason I'm saving for an upgrade

Oldmacs
1st May 2014, 06:53 PM
The 4S will run it, I'm pretty sure... They seem to run ios 7 very very well, and both the 3GS and 4 got 3 major updates. My hope however is the iPad 2 gets it. I do wonder if this is a tweak upgrade, thus not much is actually added to make it more demanding, if the 4 will get another limited release, considering 7.1 increased speed on it, plus they still sell the 4 brand new in India and possibly other countries ( if I recall correctly). I doubt it but it would be cool!

Steeley
1st May 2014, 09:29 PM
Another thing I want - the ability to mute or leave group chats in messages

Oldmacs
1st May 2014, 09:53 PM
Very good suggestion. I want better do not disturb control - like geofencing.

kerr
1st May 2014, 11:43 PM
What we should have got with Control Center the first time, a toggle for Cellular Data.

And do something, anything with Passbook. I am sick and tired of needing cards and tickets for everything, but many companies haven't heard of Passbook or the equivalents for Android and Windows.

Also, improve the look of Messages. How that ever passed QA I'll never know. So white text in green bubbles on a white background is easy to read is it?

Oldmacs
2nd May 2014, 12:15 AM
They need an option that reduces the white. TBH I don't mind it but I know a lot of people do and it must take a toll on battery.

Oldmacs
2nd May 2014, 12:40 AM
Wow... Apple's WWDC 2014 to Focus on OS X 10.10 as Apple Pulls Resources from iOS 8 to Help - MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1730758)

lawrencium
2nd May 2014, 08:41 AM
They need an option that reduces the white. TBH I don't mind it but I know a lot of people do and it must take a toll on battery.

Is the Reduce White Point under Settings>General>Accessibility>Increase Contrast what you're after? Or is it an option to change the colour scheme in parts of iOS?

Oldmacs
2nd May 2014, 08:48 AM
the whole colour scheme - its just too white for some people and strains their eyes. In addition to that displaying white I believe uses more battery than displaying darker colours?

lawrencium
2nd May 2014, 09:09 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the use of dark colours on LCDs actually consume more power, and especially since the backlight is on either way.

bennyling
2nd May 2014, 10:30 AM
the whole colour scheme - its just too white for some people and strains their eyes. In addition to that displaying white I believe uses more battery than displaying darker colours?

The "displaying white using more battery" might be true for AMOLED display tech, but seeing as iPhones have always used LCD displays, it's not a factor here.

kerr
5th May 2014, 12:02 AM
Is the Reduce White Point under Settings>General>Accessibility>Increase Contrast what you're after? Or is it an option to change the colour scheme in parts of iOS?

To my eye, none of the options under Accessibility seemed to change the look of the Messages screen. If anything is too difficult to read, usually green SMS rather than blue iMessage, I triple-click Home to invert colours. Much easier to read.

lawrencium
5th May 2014, 09:10 AM
I agree, especially since the gradient of the text 'bubbles' seems to get lighter as they appear toward the top of the screen.

I just wonder what OS X 10.10 (what a mouthful) will look like with the rumoured re-design.

Oldmacs
5th May 2014, 10:39 AM
The "displaying white using more battery" might be true for AMOLED display tech, but seeing as iPhones have always used LCD displays, it's not a factor here.

Wops, I stand corrected, I just assumed it was the same for all screens :P

Oldmacs
22nd May 2014, 02:38 PM
I've been having massive arguments online about iOS 8 device support. Its pretty obvious that it won't run on the iPhone 4.. but people claim there is no reason whatever for it to run on the iPad 2. I think there is.... eg. They sold it up to recently, it is probably the iPad with the greatest installed base, it runs iOS 7 fine(and iOS 8 probably won't be a big change) and they're still selling almost every other A5 device and thus support is pretty much guaranteed for them, so it is pretty much certain that they would have to support the iPad 2 if they support the others.

Drifter
23rd May 2014, 12:27 PM
If they don't support the iPad 2 there will be a shitload of people complaining about that.I would like to see how many have actually been sold.

Oldmacs
23rd May 2014, 04:19 PM
http://gigaom2.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/global-ios-tablet-share2-1024x511.png?w=708&h=353

That was October 2013..... and considering apple themselves said that 50 percent or maybe more iPad Air users have come from non Apple devices, i would suggest that there are still a lot of iPad 2s in the wild, and plus they sold them up to March, so there was another 5 months of sales after that graph.

If they didn't support it there would be a lot of complaints. I'm wondering if the iPhone 4 will get it as well? They only just finished making it for India and a few other markets and its still very used.

lawrencium
23rd May 2014, 04:36 PM
I'm wondering if the iPhone 4 will get it as well? They only just finished making it for India and a few other markets and its still very used.

I doubt that the iPhone 4 would receive another major iOS update, seeing as 7 didn't yield much in the way of performance.

Keep in mind, the markets you mention - in general - wouldn't be primarily concerned with "the latest" iOS updates, rather, just being able to use a smartphone and have access to mobile internet. These are Apple's "expansion" markets, if I'm not mistaken.

melbmac
23rd May 2014, 05:42 PM
Just something new.....

Oldmacs
23rd May 2014, 06:13 PM
I doubt that the iPhone 4 would receive another major iOS update, seeing as 7 didn't yield much in the way of performance.

Keep in mind, the markets you mention - in general - wouldn't be primarily concerned with "the latest" iOS updates, rather, just being able to use a smartphone and have access to mobile internet. These are Apple's "expansion" markets, if I'm not mistaken.

If iOS 8 is not a massive change, who knows? iOS 7.1 runs pretty well on my iPhone 4. The other thing is that Apple may not choose to support a device purely on how well it will run (Eg iOS 4 on the 3G) but how many people use it/how long its been since discontinuation etc.

Oldmacs
26th May 2014, 01:45 AM
Figures from March 2014:

Top on 2014-03:
Apple: 100.0%
Device models

Top on 2014-03:
iPhone 5: 13.4%
iPhone 4S: 13.0%
iPad 2: 12.2%
iPhone 4: 11.1%
iPad Mini: 10.6%
iPhone 5S: 9.1%
iPad 4: 6.4%
iPad 3: 4.9%
iPod Touch 4th: 4.5%
iPod Touch 5th: 4.0%
Others (click to show): 10.7%

(Unity Mobile Specs)

If the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 are both dropped, like many people are suggesting, that is 23 percent of Apple's installed user base gone.

lawrencium
26th May 2014, 08:52 AM
If the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 are both dropped, like many people are suggesting, that is 23 percent of Apple's installed user base gone.

I don't think the iPhone 4 will see another major iOS update, however the iPad 2 would most likely be supported due to Apple selling them until late-2013 (as well as it having almost the same internals as the first iPad mini).

However, I can't see iOS 8 being too taxing on "older" devices in comparison to how iOS 7 is/was.

Oldmacs
26th May 2014, 09:40 AM
But is Apple willing to ignore that massive iPhone 4 user group?

lawrencium
26th May 2014, 11:39 AM
I agree, however I'm only going on what Apple have done in the past.

How about when they dropped support for the original iPad? You could say that iOS 5 compared to 6 would be, in a way, similar to iOS 7 to 8. That didn't stop them from dropping support for a fairly recent device at the time.

Essentially, the iPhone 4 is four years old and is in the same generation as the (unsupported) 4th iPod Touch.

Oldmacs
26th May 2014, 01:25 PM
Yeah I know, it would make no sense based on recent patterns, but keep in mind that the iPad 1 had very low usage by the time it was dropped, and so did the 3GS. The iPhone 4 is still in massive usage. The iPhone 4 also handles iOS 7 reasonably, but the iPad 1 didn't even handle iOS 5 well. Its quite interesting actually, because I think there are a number of aspects to Apples decisions on what to run. If iOS 8 is not a massive upgrade i can see them offering it to iPhone 4 users. It would be a first to offer a 4th OS upgrade on the 4, but theres always a first. Remember when everyone was surprised that the 3GS got iOS 6? I remember people being surprised it even got iOS 5!

I could see the iPhone 4 getting a really limited release, it would keep people in the ecosystem, and give another year for people to save for newer iOS devices.

Having said that, I think that iOS 8 will be iPhone 4S and up, iPad 2 and up and iPod Touch 5th gen. I'm also thinking that some A5 devices *may* see iOS 9. Considering it sells the iPod touch 5 as its premium iPod (Not like the iPhone 4S and iPad Min 1 where they are the cheap options) and I would assume it will do so up to October this year, by the time WWDC 2015 swings around, there will be owners of the iPod touch 5 who bought them under a year ago, and to drop support for them would be dodgy.