PDA

View Full Version : virtual pc 6

gajetguy
8th September 2004, 10:18 PM
Hi gang, just found your site and joined up.
i'm having a problem with virtual pc 6.1.1. xp home version
TOTALLY UNSTABLE.
I'm running a 17" powerbook with the latest operating system with all the upgrades, 1gb ram etc
I'm lucky if I can open any program once in virtual pc as it seems to continually shut down and reboot itself and run scan disk. I also occassionally get a loud vibrating type of sound from the computer ( almost as if the hard drive is stuck). It NEVER does this in mac only in windows.
this has been happening ever since I bought the program and I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times to no avail.
I only really need it for a program I run for work, but it's the same even if I run internet explorer or other programs. Otherwise I wouldn't waste my time on it, it's so slow I can go make a cup of coffee while xp home is booting up
Please, if anyone can offer any advice it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Pete

decryption
8th September 2004, 10:55 PM
"xp home"
That's your problem right there.
Try get a copy of XP Pro and see how it goes.

Husq
8th September 2004, 11:02 PM
I dished out the money for VP6 only to use it once. I ran it with XP pro and it as mentioned, took about 5 minutes to boot up and about a minute to launch internet explorer (I have a 17' powerbook with 1Gig RAM and upgraded harddrive so hardware isn't the issue).
I've heard that windows 2000 runs better under VP6.

Hopefully VP7 solves these problems.

Exocet
8th September 2004, 11:47 PM
I'm salivating at the prospect of VPC7. I had a friend in Sydney claim she got 100FPS on BF1942 under emulation with WinXP on a VPC7 Beta (17" PBook). Regardless of the FPS she got, she joined me in-game at one point from her mac. I don't know the validity of the FPS claim, but even if she's exagerating there's still a BIG jump in performance for her to be able to play at all.

Disko
8th September 2004, 11:57 PM
I've played with the beta of v7. There's no lag on my 1GHz 17" powerbook emulating windows 2000. Thats with all the windows fade effects and stuff enabled. Certainly worth the money.

jobe
9th September 2004, 01:35 PM
ok. I use vpc 6.1.1 to run winXP pro on my 800mhz 3g ibook. It's nothing spectacular but it's certainly not as bad as some of you are experiencing. I have turned off all animation and disabled all unneeded services and assigned it 256mb of ram and it runs OK. Boots in about a minute and opens apps without too much of a delay. it is a it laggy with the mouse and big tasks like compiling an aspx page can bog it down quickly and make it unusable for a while (this is when I go make the coffee).

but gajetguy, if you're hearing groans of agony from you pb when you run it... i'd suggest you stop trying to run it at least until you know what is making the noise in your pb.

Perhaps you can try this to run your win app (shamelessly stolen from disko)

X11 also comes packaged with OSX, so you can run plenty of software through that. Another page worth checking is http://darwine.sourceforge.net - its a program that will run windows apps via wine in X11.

haven't tried it myself yet but perhaps if you have sucess... :P

Disko
9th September 2004, 01:48 PM
darwine is something to look out for in the future. It isn't really worth it at the moment.

gajetguy
10th September 2004, 08:46 PM
Sorry to sound stoopid but what the hell is X11????
never heard of it and where do I find it??
what is it and what does it do???
is it something I should have r.. r.. r.. r.. read the mmmmmanual about??
Looks like a change of topic coming up!!
Thanks

titan44
10th September 2004, 08:55 PM
X11 is for running *nix gui apps in max osx, From memory it's on the 3rd Disk of OSX.

the_argon
11th September 2004, 01:52 AM
One thing I have noticed with the VPC 7 beta is that installing the VPC additions (within windows) speeds up the performance quite a bit. I have allocated it 512MB RAM and 8MB video RAM and it's pretty speedy with win XP installed.

Probably on the same level as a PIII 500 /w 256MB RAM & 8MB S3 vid card.

Currawong
11th September 2004, 09:05 AM
I'll start a new software thread for X11.

teej
11th September 2004, 01:37 PM
anyone tried Knoppix or any other Linux distro on VPC 7 Beta?

Quamen
11th September 2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by teej@Sep 11 2004, 01:37 PM
Just out of curiousity....why would you want to do that?

There are PPC linux distros around....or more to the point, most linux apps can be easily ported to OS X due ot its unix base.

decryption
11th September 2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Quamen+Sep 11 2004, 03:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Quamen @ Sep 11 2004, 03:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-teej@Sep 11 2004, 01:37 PM
Just out of curiousity....why would you want to do that? [/b][/quote]
Testing for an x86 system? Or doing work prescribed for an x86 Linux system?
it means i can run Linux as an application, rather than rebooting and going through the motions to setup a dual boot system on a Mac.

teej
12th September 2004, 01:20 PM
Decryption is on the money. I&#39;ve been rolling my own Freesbie and Knoppix based distros. I&#39;ve just gotten a G4 800mhz and VP6+*nix is too slow to be useable, at least on this system. If VP7 has a big performance boost for OS&#39;s other than Windows, I&#39;ll scrap my x86 machines in favour of a 1.5ghz 15" PowerBook.