PDA

View Full Version : Will Applecare fix my 5S Screen?

Carve
16th April 2014, 12:46 AM
So work just gave me an iPhone 5S and I wanted to try and not break this one. I was wondering if I purchased Applecare and if by a chance I dropped it and smashed the screen (as I've done twice already with my old iPhone) will Apple just replace it on the spot if I took it into one of their stores?

Many thanks

rss123
16th April 2014, 12:59 AM
No.

harryb2448
16th April 2014, 07:54 AM
Hardware faults but NOT negligence so don't drop it!

Oldmacs
16th April 2014, 09:31 AM
Apple can be nice and make exceptions but I wouldn't count on it

The_Hawk
16th April 2014, 11:02 AM
Wasn't there some deal (at least in the states) which covered physical damage under AppleCare? Essentially covering the cost of the screen as an incentive to get people to buy applecare?

I don't know that it was ever released to the Australian market... but tell me I'm not going crazy in remembering this.

Oldmacs
16th April 2014, 11:55 AM
Applecare + wasn't it? I recall it was released with the 4S but never came here? I tell you I'd buy it... having smashed my iPad twice, paying $279 both times isn't my idea of 'fun' :P

CrypticSquared
16th April 2014, 12:39 PM
I started with an iPhone 4s for 24 months and am now using an iPhone 5s. I used one otterbox commuter case on the 4s and dropped it a ton of times with no damage at all done to the phone but the case itself did start to break. Have a new otterbox commuter case on the 5s which is only a few months old and dropped it a few times without a single scratch. The phone just bounces when it hits the concrete. Perhaps you might want to investigate cases?

bigbod
16th April 2014, 05:37 PM
They certainly do make exceptions. I dropped my 1 month old 5S on an edge and it cracked the screen. Apple Genius replaced it with a new phone, after checking it had no water damage.

Perhaps it made a difference that I was using an Apple Leather Case that offered no protection. After that, changed to an Otterbox and have dropped the phone a few times with no damage whatsoever.