PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent App

Jujaibibi
6th April 2014, 08:38 AM
Hey Mac Guru,

Transmission used to be my fav to late until I bought this new MBP last week. The latest error keeps saying permission error after 5 secs of download.

1. Has anyone encounter this problem?
2. If I can't fix this issue, is there any one good alternative(s) to be considered?

Thanks.

changa
6th April 2014, 09:24 AM
I had this problem too when I installed a new hard drive in my iMac.

It is because Transmission does not have permission to write to whatever directory you are trying to save to. I fixed this by going to the folder and right clicking and select Getting Info.

Down at the bottom their should be a Sharing & Permissions section. You might find that your account does not have the permission to Read and Write to that folder. Just change the permission setting and you should be ok.

Jujaibibi
6th April 2014, 09:36 AM
thanks Changa - checked and the permission is read and write. It still have the error ....

bennyling
6th April 2014, 09:38 AM
Jump into the Guest account and try downloading something in Transmission there?

Jujaibibi
6th April 2014, 10:28 AM
Jump into the Guest account and try downloading something in Transmission there?

Thanks Benny. Would prefer all app in one account :)

changa
6th April 2014, 10:57 AM
I would try these options.

1. Try downloading to a different directory (say your desktop). Does that work? If it does it has to be a permission problem with your folder or drive.

2. Try repairing permissions from Disk utility

3. Are you saving to an external drive? If so you can also get the drive to ignore permissions.

Hope one of these works for you.

bennyling
6th April 2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks Benny. Would prefer all app in one account :)

The idea behind my suggestion was to rule out any permissions or latent preferences that could be contributing to the issue, in an attempt to find a possible resolution.

Obviously, I am aware you would prefer all apps in the one account. What sane person wouldn't?

gehenna
6th April 2014, 02:37 PM
What Benny says is right and is a standard troubleshooting method across computer platforms. Try downloading and installing the app in another user account (Guest is already there), that way you can determine whether the problem is in your user profile (if the app works in the Guest account), or if it is a general OS problem (if it doesn't work in the Guest account).

If it doesn't work, try completely removing the app using something like AppZapper or AppCleaner. Then reboot, reinstall and try again. If it still doesn't work try an app like uTorrent - it works just as well.

Jujaibibi
6th April 2014, 05:04 PM
@bennyling and gehenna, thanks again for your advice. always great to see good advice on Mactalk.

I suspect when I did a migration from old macbook to my new macbook - both local directory have different folder name. What I ended up doing per below and it is working (at least for now) ..... keeping my fingers crossed. Have a great evening!

#1 Move the following folders/files to your Desktop for later disposal.

~/Library/Application Support/Transmission (.torrents can be found here and can be re-added to Transmission. Use "Move Data File To..." (enclosing folder) and "Verify Local Data" as necessary.)
~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.LSSharedFileList.plist
~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.plist (re-do Preferences after installation)
~/Library/Caches/org.m0k.transmission

"~" = your home folder.
Access User ~/Library Folder in OS X Mountain Lion & OS X Lion (http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/22/access-u) ... os-x-lion/

#2 Trash the .app.

#3 D/l a fresh copy and re-install application.

Transmission (http://www.transmissionbt.com/download/)