PDA

View Full Version : Faulty 2011 mbp logic board.

CrypticSquared
28th March 2014, 06:51 PM
Pretty sure I have a faulty logic board in an early 2011 15" mbp here. Woke up this morning and the battery is not recognized at all. Was on it's way out anyway. SMC reset didn't help at all. On top of that, it randomly reboots when switching to the discrete graphics card like when I plug in a monitor via the thunderbolt port.

Would an official apple store charge for a quote to fix it? The reseller I was thinking of would like around $70 straight up just to look at it.

mick132
28th March 2014, 09:18 PM
There is an issue with logic boards for 2011 MBP's. Take it to Apple and see if they will fix it for free. Mine failed 15 days before my Apple Care ran out so I was lucky.

bennyling
28th March 2014, 11:11 PM
Pretty sure they do charge for a quote, but I'm not sure how much.

Someone who's actually been to an Apple Store for OOW service will be able to tell you, I'm sure :)

CrypticSquared
29th March 2014, 10:36 AM
Pretty sure they do charge for a quote, but I'm not sure how much.

Someone who's actually been to an Apple Store for OOW service will be able to tell you, I'm sure :)

Decided to give it a clean and remove the firmware password before heading to the store. Booted it up and it still says there is no battery installed but unfortunately I can't reproduce the restarting problem. *fingers crossed* it was just a completely random thing.

I've also had this for quite sometime but as it only ever happens in one app and doesn't affect the rest of the screen, I put it down to the app. Just need to quit the app and open it again to fix it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1335341/mAudio.png

Wally
29th March 2014, 04:26 PM
I couldn't help but notice you said you had a firmware password. From what I recall the SMC reset won't work if you have a Firmware Password..

Could be thinking about PRAM though.

CrypticSquared
29th March 2014, 04:35 PM
I couldn't help but notice you said you had a firmware password. From what I recall the SMC reset won't work if you have a Firmware Password..

Could be thinking about PRAM though.

You are correct. I discovered this some time ago now and disabled it and re-enabled it when resetting the SMC. Apples documentation conveniently leaves out this minor detail.

System has been up for around 7 hours now without a single restart. $99 to replace the battery is a lot better than replacing the logic board. Will monitor it over the next week or so. Still have no idea why it spazzed out yesterday and now is fine again.