PDA

View Full Version : What are your projects for the next 6 months?

jsarchibald
27th March 2014, 10:07 AM
With a baby on the way, I am in full de-clutter mode. I would have around 70 to 80 vintage macs currently, and as at February 2014, less than 50% were working. I decided that I didn't have room for junk, so I've been working every night after work at getting as many working as possible, and selling off what I can't salvage. I can swap over components, and clean and lubricate, but have decided not to delve into the overly-technical aspects of vintage mac repair. As I have so many machines, I guess that I have the privilege to swap parts back and forth to make as many systems complete. So, this has been my focus for the past 7 weeks.

Original 128K Macintosh - boxed

I finally got the delivery of the Mac Plus in the original Mac box. I've gone through it in great detail, cleaned every last square mm, and now have a complete 128K in the box. Missing the power cord box, original stickers, brochure and picking list, but it is 99% there. Phew, tick that off the list!

Fit the collection into a single bedroom...

My wife has given me four storage units from her business room, which is becoming our nursery. This will allow me to unbox a lot of gear that I have, so I can see it, use it, and decide whether or not I want to keep it. This is a job for next week, and I'm looking forward to the end result. This is also where my desk, Thunderbolt display and 15" MBP live, so it should be neat and tidy.

Compacts

I have gotten 21 compacts working, and 12 that are not. I'm not too worried about the ones that don't work, as they are either yellowed, have engraving from schools, or are in average condition. Additionally, I don't have the time to spend on them, and learn soldering skills to a high enough level to fix each one. I don't think any of them are beyond repair, just beyond my limited tech knowledge and free time. Great project for someone! My guess is that a lot of them just need re-flowing, and a few to have components tested and replaced.

This now leaves 8 compacts to work on - 2 Colour Classics, 2 Classics, and 4 SE's. I know that I am unlikely to get more than one of these working, but I have some ideas that I think will mean I can get one or two working, leaving me with a total of 23 working, 18 not. Considering only two worked fully before, I'm pretty happy with those stats.

Floppy and Hard Drives

I have a large stockpile of parts, and wanted to test them to make sure they worked. I was able to use quite a few to get my compacts working again, and I still need some to populate the Mac II's I have (more later on), and still have around 20 working drives. This doesn't include the newer drives that came with the Power Macs, which I was able to get a few working as well.

Then I moved onto the Hard Drives. I set up an SE test rig, and went through each drive one by one. I'd say about 50% worked, so I have around 20 spares now. I then received a Macintosh Performa 5400 from macman142 (more later on), and I decided as soon as I unpacked it (by the way Dave, AWESOME packing!!!), it was time to test my 428MB to 4GB drives. Again, about 50% worked, so I now have about 20 of those spare.

Basically, I'm trying to clear out the junk, and be left with fully working machines and parts to finalise my collection. I acquired a lot of it in 2011, and have sat on it since, so it's about time I got onto it. Funny, a fully grown man is under the thumb of a little baby that isn't even born yet. How cute.

Power Macintosh 5500 Director's Edition

I bought this a couple of years ago, but as the owner lived next to the beach, the insides are corroded and I cannot get it to turn on. It came completely boxed, only missing the internal box with the manuals and disks. I still have these, just not the box, so I should keep an eye out for that. On the plus side (didn't I say that to my wife when I was fixing the compacts), the plastics are in really nice condition, so I decided I needed a donor machine. Wouldn't you know it, I had sold a perfect 5500 6 months before for $50.

Dave hooked me up with a Power Macintosh 5400 (but when it arrived, it was a Macintosh Performa 5400, never seen one), which he said was in average condition, but I think it's a nice looking machine. It works beautifully, so now I can swap parts back and forth to determine what works and what doesn't. I am guessing I'll be swapping over the chassis, power supply, analog board, and keeping as much of the original machine as I can. I haven't taken it apart yet, so it could be a case of swapping over the complete internals from one to the other. Thanks Dave!

Macintosh II's

I have a mix of Mac II's, and I've never done a thing to any of them, other than a IIx and a IIfx. Stripped them both, cleaned everything, swapped fresh batteries in - nothing. I have a few spare PSU's, so I'll need to go through in detail and get known working parts to get these back up and running. Sold off the monitor I had, so I'm hoping I can hook up a 19" LG LCD I have - fingers crossed! These will need a bit of work, but I'm hoping I have some luck with them when I get around to them.

Twentieth Anniversary Mac

One works beautifully, the other has an Address Bus error when booting and never gets to the desktop. I am very wary about this one, due to how rare they are, the lack of spares, and my skill level. I think I have the skills required, but I am really doubting myself. I wish there was a local repair centre, but then I remembered that it was hard enough to have these repaired when they were new. This is a future project, certainly not in the next year or two. One day maybe...

And then...

Future plans

I think I plan to sell off machines one by one as I decide I don't need them. Even though eBay is getting even more expensive, I think this is where the best profits are, and I want to get as much as I can for them in order to fund a Hawaii trip for my long suffering and extremely patient wife. Guessing this will be towards the end of next year, so that should give me enough time to get it done. Oh, and have a healthy little PayPal balance to snipe bargains that I can add to the collection!

Anyway, I wanted to share my 6 month lookahead program, purely because I don't have anyone else to share this with. I was also keen in seeing what others are looking at doing in the next 6 to 12 months, because I know we are an eclectic bunch, and some of your plans are either downright crazy, utterly inspired, insanely great, or a combination of the three.

midnight_e
27th March 2014, 10:21 AM
Thanks js, a good read on a wet Thursday morning

macman142
27th March 2014, 11:58 AM
My 6 month plan:

1. somehow prize Platinum Macintosh ED from jsarchibald's clutches hahaha
2. re-cap SE/30's, Classics, Colour Classics, LC's etc. Or at least remove caps from all these machines to limit further damage!
3. source last clamshell iBook (Blueberry)
4. sell surplus compacts - between us we must try not to flood the ebay market!

With your 5500, remove the I/O cover and LB, six screws hold the rear bucket to the front bezel, four screws hold the swivel stand on and you're left with the internals in one big solid lump and all the case plastics removed. They're not a very nice machine to work on beyond that point so I recommend you just swap the internals straight over.

kyte
27th March 2014, 12:53 PM
oops. deleted. didnt notice this thread was under vintage (accessed straight from sidebar)

Byrd
27th March 2014, 03:11 PM
I'm currently building a 5.5 x 10.5m garage that will have to house my collection (read: one 2.5 yo, one 1 week old just arrived). I'm looking forward to setting up shelving, storage, consolidating my collection and upgrading all as far as I can go. Not that there is much - enough to cram in a small wardrove. But should be able to set more machines up on a permanent basis. Still not sure how to house them safely to avoid moisture/heat, but will enjoy looking into it :)

jeremybh1
28th March 2014, 01:49 PM
I think you've touched on an important part of a collectors reality. Each time I take on a new item it feel like I need to justify it even harder. This means I've been quite generous in giving away parts/computers etc to tighten up what I keep. Isn't it fun going through everything though!

Pismo
21st May 2014, 05:38 PM
My 12 month plan
1 source a power book 5300 power supply board, found a brand new one in the UK so only have to find a good battery and it's done 
2 replace two 3400 logic boards one is dead the other has external video only and the track pad is dead all so but it working
with external keyboard and mouse
3 Some how repair cracks in back cover of lid on Pb1400 so it looks like new again
4 and sort out my Pb 1400 spare parts so it even I may be able find out what i have
5 and while i dreaming i may as well look for the the G3 CPU for the PB 1400 that i lost or gave away by mistake :moneymouth:

Oldmacs
21st May 2014, 06:31 PM
My 12 month plan (Very little of this is going to happen due to me having very little money available for vintage Macs :'( )

- Have cap replacement in: LC I, LC II x2, LC III, LC 475, Quadra 605, IIci, PB 100, PB 150.
- Find/fix power supplies for: PowerMac 8500, IIci, IIsi
- Somehow replace PB 160 SCSI HD
- Fix PB 190 soldering.
- Replacement video cable for PB 165C
- Replacement PB 540C HD, Power supply and Hinge
- Transplant working display onto PB G4 15 inch
- Gradually convert SCSI based vintage Macs to SD cards (VERY EXPENSIVE)
- Get Macintosh Plus on the internet

jeremybh1
29th May 2014, 05:07 PM
If I may contribute:

- I have 3 Power Mac G5s sitting here, need to sell. All have passed Apple service diagnostic.
- 1 Apple Studio display to match, need to sell.
- 2 Apple Pro keyboards to match and one white Pro mouse
- eMac G4 (listed already)
- Mac Mini G4 (listed already)
-17" Macbook Pro. My die hard favourite model had water in my bag get into the screen. Just a week after upgrading the hard drive to a 750GB one! Sitting here as a reminder of beauty but largely useless.
- LC475 with Color Monitor and Extended Keyboard II sitting here. LC475 is in 'as new' condition however it chimes and nothing happens. No video. Very sad for me - when you take the case off (so easy!) it's an image of perfection so I don't know where to start. Should sell it.
- Retr0brite-ing of some things, I have driven all over Canberra and called around to find pure Hydrogen Peroxide at 15%. Impossible in Canberra. Yes I've done commerical hair salon supplies but they sell it in a cream version. The cream contains all kinds of additives including CHLORINE, which should never be applied to plastics.
- Give away some sticks of RAM and parts
- iMac GV grape with box and all original boxes, keyboards, cds etc. Sitting here, need to sell.
- 17" iMac with dud screen, works beautifully otherwise. Need to sell. Have matching keyboard.

So much stuff. Honestly I wish selling things was easier here - your post gets deleted and you have to resubmit blindly (no feedback) until it gets approved.

MacintoshSE
29th May 2014, 05:49 PM
- Retr0brite-ing of some things, I have driven all over Canberra and called around to find pure Hydrogen Peroxide at 15%. Impossible in Canberra. Yes I've done commerical hair salon supplies but they sell it in a cream version. The cream contains all kinds of additives including CHLORINE, which should never be applied to plastics.

Did you try Chemist's Warehouse? Although not 15%, I got 12% from there and it worked quite well.

Oldmacs
29th May 2014, 06:15 PM
If I may contribute:

- I have 3 Power Mac G5s sitting here, need to sell. All have passed Apple service diagnostic.
- 1 Apple Studio display to match, need to sell.
- 2 Apple Pro keyboards to match and one white Pro mouse
- eMac G4 (listed already)
- Mac Mini G4 (listed already)
-17" Macbook Pro. My die hard favourite model had water in my bag get into the screen. Just a week after upgrading the hard drive to a 750GB one! Sitting here as a reminder of beauty but largely useless.
- LC475 with Color Monitor and Extended Keyboard II sitting here. LC475 is in 'as new' condition however it chimes and nothing happens. No video. Very sad for me - when you take the case off (so easy!) it's an image of perfection so I don't know where to start. Should sell it.
- Give away some sticks of RAM and parts
- iMac GV grape with box and all original boxes, keyboards, cds etc. Sitting here, need to sell.
- 17" iMac with dud screen, works beautifully otherwise. Need to sell. Have matching keyboard.

So much stuff. Honestly I wish selling things was easier here - your post gets deleted and you have to resubmit blindly (no feedback) until it gets approved.

The lc 475 is probably the pram battery. They can't display video without a cHarged PRAM battery or it is the caps.

neoxide
30th May 2014, 09:48 AM
Retrobrite: I thought that the concentration of hydrogen peroxide solution that they sold in stores was 30% and you could dilute it 1:1 with water. I haven't looked though, I'll keep an eye out next time I'm at the supermarket or hardware store.

LC 475: I thought you could get video without a PRAM battery. None of mine have batteries. Of course, you need to power it on, wait for the chime, then switch it off and on again...

Oldmacs
30th May 2014, 11:14 AM
I meant normally switching it on will not produce video without a PRAM battery, but yes that trick does work on mine as well :)

jeremybh1
30th May 2014, 05:56 PM
Today I bought a 1/2AA lithium backup battery (to my suprise) and installed it tonight. Now posts and you can hear the hard drive semi spin up, choke then spin down. Flashing ? So that needs to be replaced then it will be perfection. I had no idea you needed a battery or the trick of on then off again so thanks guys.

Oldmacs
30th May 2014, 05:59 PM
Yeah dead HD :( Have you thought about converting to a compact flash card?

LCGuy
30th May 2014, 06:44 PM
Or, if thats out of your budget, get one of these babies: SCSI2SD - code/src wiki (http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD)

Oldmacs
30th May 2014, 07:24 PM
^^ Wops thats what I meant.. sd not cf. lol

macman142
31st May 2014, 07:59 PM
Oh that's cool! Where can we get them and what do they cost? Are they easy to configure/setup/instal? SO MANY QUESTIONS!

LCGuy
1st June 2014, 11:29 AM
You can get them from that page, they cost around $85ish. They're made by a guy in Brisbane, so postage is cheap for Aussies. And while they require a bit of tinkering via a Windows or *nix command prompt to get going, they're reasonably easy to configure.

Oldmacs
1st June 2014, 05:12 PM
I have one in my LC 475.. I love it. Setup is a little hard to get your head around the first time but easy enough after that. I want a Powerbook one for my PB 160 :D

jsarchibald
2nd June 2014, 12:36 PM
What about CF cards? I put one into my TAM and it took about a minute to install. Do they work on other machines as well.

LCGuy
2nd June 2014, 07:02 PM
In machines with IDE they work fine with a cheap CF -> IDE adapter. SCSI only machines can take a CF card with the use of an CF Aztecmonster CF 3 5" Scsi Converter Card FOR MAC Akai Sampler NEW Condition | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CF-AztecMonster-CF-3-5-SCSI-Converter-Card-for-Mac-AKAI-sampler-New-Condition-/301202152133?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item46210c1ac5)AztecMonster. Never used one, but from what I hear they're awesome. There's also a version for PowerBooks, the PowerMonster.

Oldmacs
2nd June 2014, 08:11 PM
I use CF on my pre G3 Laptop Macs with PCMIA slots... My 190, 1400 and 5300 use them :)

jeremybh1
12th June 2014, 03:23 PM
Well this LC475 project is complete!
First major issue was getting the video output to work - solved by purchasing PRAM battery. I couldn't get it to work without it.
Second issue was the dead hard drive, originally a Quantum ProDrive ELS. I found a youtube video showing how you can take the top off, and at the right moment, flick the head over to the right (as it's stuck) and it will boot fine. 68KMLA also features a thread with people saying this works, however I after multiple attempts the drive refused to boot.

I decided to yank a 40MB SCSI hard drive out of my Mac Classic II (CRT is faulty) and install that into the LC475. It refused to boot becuase the LC475 requires System 7.1, so the next problem of restoring SSW with no media. A local collector lent me some 1.4MB floppy disks and I set to work recreating the correct restore disks based off my LC630 restore CD.

Apple were forward thinking with this CD - not only can you restore the LC630 with everything it needs, but they give you 'plain' disk images of SSW 7.5 and the software to reproduce them! Very helpful. Disk by disk I created the restore set and started feeding them into the LC475. On the last disk a vague error message popped up and said 'No changes have been saved' and thats it. Ugh!

Back to booting from my fresh disk tools floppy, I initialised the old Mac Classic drive (I didn't before because I was trying to upgrade and keep the old files) and started the process again. At disk 5 it failed, again with a simple error message. So I booted the LC630 back up, and reimaged disk 5 thinking the floppy was corrupt some how.

Third times a charm - with a fresh PRAM battery, initialised hard drive and new restore floppies - SSW 7.5 went on like it should. Phew.

I've since located the matching high rez monochrome monitor which sit atop the LC475 perfectly - the curves of the front bezel match the case and on the sides the snow white lines match too. This system will be given to the collector who helped with with the blank floppies. Saving the world - one mac at a time...

LCGuy
12th June 2014, 05:56 PM
I use CF on my pre G3 Laptop Macs with PCMIA slots... My 190, 1400 and 5300 use them :)

You can also get IDE -> CF adapters that connect to your HDD connector, saving your PC card slots for something else :) I have one in my 1400.

Oldmacs
12th June 2014, 07:17 PM
That is a good point :)

I think I chose the PC sloe option, so I can also keep a 20 GB hard drive inside (I have a lot of spare ice 2.5 inch Laptop HDs) :P

Washerman
19th July 2014, 07:08 PM
Hi all!

I am new to these parts, but am in the midst of some restoration projects. Think I have enough to keep me going for 6 months, but here is what's currently underway:

* Motorola Starmax 4000/200 - bought this for novelty value - turns out that it suffered a leaked battery. I've cleaned up the board a bit, but not sure if it works yet - have paid for a Rayovac battery, but still need some 2K EDO to try to boot it (bought 4K EDO which likely won't work :()
* IIsi - seems to have a dead PSU. Bit dirty outside, but nearly spotless inside. No leaked caps visible. Just makes a little cough from the speaker when power is applied but won't respond to the power button.
* IIci & cx - have washed the cases, but need to retrobright them. The boards look OK, although the ci seems to have leaked caps. The cx had 8 banks of RAM full but sadly the RAM holders are a bit broken.
* IIx - need to solder PRAM batteries on, or find a useful battery holder for them. Probably something that won't get done in the next 6 months ...

On top of that there's a WGS8550 hiding around needing restoration, and I am on the lookout for more! I tend to smuggle them into the house when the wife's not looking ...