PDA

View Full Version : Alias folder kept on desktop

Buttercup
20th March 2014, 12:18 PM
I've read that keeping folders on the desktop can slow down performance so to keep the desktop uncluttered I made an alias folder called Desktop Stuff, which I think uses minimum memory.

Do the files and folders that are stored in there for quick access automatically achieve alias status, i.e. do they take up minimum memory too, or do I have to make an alias of every file and folder in there? Thanks for any advice, jen

gehenna
20th March 2014, 02:29 PM
The alias for the folder will suffice, it's just the same as a windows Shortcut to a folder. Items opened/saved are from within the destination folder, not the alias on the desktop.

Having said that, I've never seen any real-world proof that keeping things on the desktop causes any performance issues. Maybe back in Windows 95 but certainly not since then. Granted I hate desktop clutter and never keep anything on it, but I've supported loads of people's computers who do and it's never been an issue.

Buttercup
20th March 2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks gehenna. It's not running slow, as far as I can tell, but just thought that it may become a problem as I load up the alias folder on the desktop. I know even less about Windows. Since meeting my first Mac I've never lusted after any other 'puter. Thanks again, Jen