PDA

View Full Version : MBP static on baby monitor

cosmichobo
3rd March 2014, 11:22 PM
G'day,

My 2009 13" MacBookPro is pissing me off... because when I use it, it causes static on my baby-monitor.

I noticed maybe a year ago that occasionally I'd get a mild electric shock from the edge of the wrist rest (ie same location that the old plastic MacBooks used to crack).

Well, now unless I keep both hands resting on the wrist rests, it gives off a loud static noise over my baby monitor.

It only happens when the MBP is connected to the same powerboard as the monitor. (Just change the outlet, I hear you say... but that's easier said than done, unfortunately).

Whilst this is ultimately just an inconvenience, I'm wondering if the mild shock thing has something to do with it... and if that's of greater concern?

Cheers,

cosmic

Oldmacs
3rd March 2014, 11:40 PM
What adaptor does it have? Is it a genuine Magsafe ? And is it the small plug head or the long cable?

cosmichobo
4th March 2014, 12:54 AM
Couple-month-old genuine replacement Magsafe... long cable...

Oldmacs
4th March 2014, 12:41 PM
Strange..I have read cases where the non grounded plug head seems to lead to a build of of electricity in the Macbook...

Maybe theres something wrong internally?

The static on the baby monitor is probably from electrical interference ( from the transformer) but its strange that your palm position should influence it...

Byrd
4th March 2014, 01:57 PM
It'd be the poorly shielded baby monitor that's causing the issue, not the MBP. Second to cordless phones, baby wireless monitors are notorious for wireless interference/radiation, and they're usually pretty cheap. You could try shielding the monitor or try another (better) brand