PDA

View Full Version : kernel_task hogging memory

foxtrot23
27th February 2014, 06:33 AM
Ever since upgrading to Mavericks, I've been having severe problems with my early 2011 MBP. It is running extremely slow and becoming increasingly frustrating to use. When starting up the machine, all is fine initially but very quickly the kernel_task process starts to eat up memory. It generally increases until it is using about 4.7 GB (have 8 GB on the machine) and then stabilises. After this everything is really slow with lots of page swapping happening.

I've done a lot of googling on this issue and it seems to be extremely common around the place but no one appears to have a real answer. I've also got a much old MBP (2007) also running Mavericks which has exactly the same issue.

Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this?

Byrd
27th February 2014, 09:06 AM
Hi foxtrot,

I'd consider doing a fresh install of Mavericks to weed out any residual problems with the upgrade

foxtrot23
27th February 2014, 09:36 AM
Hi foxtrot,

I'd consider doing a fresh install of Mavericks to weed out any residual problems with the upgrade

I tried that with both of my machines. Formatted hard drive, reinstalled Mavericks and reinstalled all my applications from scratch. Unfortunately it didn't help.