PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer files from mac to external hard drive?

pramodhital
25th February 2014, 10:09 AM
I am not a mac savvy at all. I am still trying to get my head around to Mac OS X.
I have almost 500GB of files in my external hard drive. It is the WD one with 1T capacity. I tried to move one file from my mac to the hard drive and didn't work. After reading all the posts from the people who knew what it was about, I am transferring all those files from the hard drive to mac before I start reformat with FAT32. I could see the people saying FAT32 is compatible with mac and windows. That's the only option I have now, I guess. Please let me know if this is the right thing to do. So, how do I reformat my hard drive with FAT32 from my mac? As i said earlier, I am not a mac savvy at all. So you might think I am a bit of a dumbass after reading my questions.

Byrd
25th February 2014, 12:02 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

Drives formatted with FAT32 have a file size limitation of 4GB (and file naming limitations too), which may have been why you had issues copying from your HFS+ (Mac) formatted drive to the FAT32 external drive.

If you will be using the external drive primarily on a Mac, you can reformat it to HFS+ using Apple's Disk Utility. However, make sure you backup what you have on there (twice!). The hard disk can be accessed on Windows using the paid utility MacDrive. Alternately, some people partition (split) the hard disk into two partition types - eg. 500GB FAT32 + 500GB HFS+

JB