PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shooting parents Mac externally

Secoa
15th February 2014, 03:37 PM
Hi

I have elderly parents who live in Albury NSW and I live in Perth. The distance is approx 3700 klms, so it is impractical to pop over and fix their Mac. I am looking into the apple remote desktop (ARD) tool to be able to take control of their Mac and be able observe what is installed and fix it

They are struggling with understanding basic concepts such as the dock/finder/menu bar. I have bought them literature to learn but too often I get a call for help.

They have come from a PC background and some concepts are very foreign to them. They often play around with the library or preference files.

If I purchase apple remote desktop, do they need to purchase it as well? If so it is a little expensive for me. If you have used ARD and have suggestions it would be great. Otherwise if there alternate software I do not mind to be pointed in a deferent direction.

Thanks

tonyberinson
15th February 2014, 03:40 PM
use team viewer or logmein

Both are free to use and you need them to download some soft are and log in - thats basically it.

I am sure you can walk them through that.

Secoa
15th February 2014, 04:08 PM
thanks - any preference for either?

bennyling
15th February 2014, 04:12 PM
I think LogMeIn actually killed the free version of their service not too long ago, so go with TeamViewer :)

LCGuy
15th February 2014, 04:51 PM
I use TeamViewer to troubleshoot Dad's lappy (who lives in regional QLD, near Bundaberg) from Sydney. Absolute godsend.

Oldmacs
15th February 2014, 05:14 PM
What about the built in back to my mac, included in iCloud?

rpjallan
15th February 2014, 05:27 PM
Back To My Mac works fine these days. LogMeIn is no longer free...

baobab68
15th February 2014, 05:50 PM
I've always wondered how to use Back to my Mac....

And a +1 from me for Teamviewer, it's great.

MadKiwi
15th February 2014, 06:35 PM
+1 for TeamViewer from me, I use it to support my wife's parents since we gave them out 2008 iMac to replace their aging and unstable PC.

nibbles
15th February 2014, 08:26 PM
Don't buy Apple Remote Desktop. Period. It's for managing local network computers not computers on external sites.

tonyberinson
17th February 2014, 06:58 PM
logmein still works and team viewer - i gotta laugh i saw the header and it says "trouble shooting parents" and cracked up.. LOL

stewiesno1
26th February 2014, 07:39 AM
i gotta laugh i saw the header and it says "trouble shooting parents" and cracked up.. LOL

Ha, I agree Tony. First thing I thought of was "look away when you shoot them"

Stewie

rpjallan
9th March 2014, 12:29 PM
Has anyone tried this: Nulana - Remotix for Mac (http://www.nulana.com/remotix-mac/)

Secoa
9th March 2014, 07:43 PM
I have tried to change the name of the forum post only after re-reading the header. But alas I have been unsuccessful.

Look they live 3600 klms away so it would have to be one powerful weapon

SoVeReIgN
11th March 2014, 09:05 PM
+ 1 Teamviewer

Aslong as you both have decent connections sharing the mouse etc shouldn't be too frustrating.