PDA

View Full Version : SSD and HDD Separately or Together

p3ntyne
6th February 2014, 09:31 PM
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what hard drive combination everyone is using. (My SSD is coming soon am wondering which would be best.)

Thanks

Byrd
7th February 2014, 01:12 PM
I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with 256GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD + Seagate 2TB drive. Was tempted to build a Fusion drive, but concerned if one drive or the other failed I'd be stuffed. So ended up changing my /home directory to the 2TB drive and haven't looked back.

Intel or Samsung SSDs are the pick.

JB

rpjallan
8th February 2014, 10:38 AM
Really, it depends what your use will be. I have three computers that are used all the time. They are all set up differently. One, MackBook Pro, which is mainly used by my wife & kids, is set up with a Fusion drive. It works great for the general use it gets. Just last week I upgraded it from 60GB SSD & 320GB HDD to 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD. BTW, all computers have at least two backups.

bennyling
10th February 2014, 02:14 AM
I honestly wouldn't trust my data to a Fusion Drive, but then I'm the kind of person who knows what's going on, which data is going where, etc, which is why I'd advocate doing the separate method.

That said, a Fusion Drive might be a good idea if you want the kind of set-and-forget functionality that Apple are renowned for.