PDA

View Full Version : Want to change the name that appears on the routers

tonyberinson
5th February 2014, 09:13 AM
Hi Everyone

This has been driving me nuts and need your help.

When you look at the DHCP List on a router - it shows the name of a mac or iPhone or iPad etc. etc

My macbook pro retina 15" appears as "Antonysnamobile" with the correct Mac Address.

I want to change it.. I have changed the sharing Computer Name - and hasn't made a difference.. I have changed the NetBIOS name under Network to ANTONYSRMBP and still doesn't appear.

I am getting frustrated and its driving me insane.

Can anyone help??

I want to change it to AntonysRMBP

Thanks heaps

Tony

Edge
5th February 2014, 11:06 AM
Have you reset the DHCP leases so the table repopulates?

tonyberinson
5th February 2014, 11:19 AM
Hi Edge

Any ideas on how to do that - I am not that learned in this stuff... Please treat me like a 'user' LOL

glacierdave
5th February 2014, 02:39 PM
Did you try the advice offered the last time you asked this question?

That thread is here:

http://www.mactalk.com.au/24/116967-trying-change-device-name-my-rmbp.html

David

tonyberinson
5th February 2014, 02:53 PM
Yes I did David ... As it still wasn't working I am asking again...

It's very frustrating

glacierdave
5th February 2014, 03:08 PM
Step 1 - Does the name appear how you want on your computer (System Preferences -> Sharing)?

Go no further until this is the case.

Step 2 - Run Safari and use it to get into the web site for your router (this information would have been in the manual you got with your router).

Step 3 - Look for the bit that deals with the local network, it could also say something about DHCP.

Step 4 - Look for a way to reset that.

I don't have the manual for your particular router so I can't tell you the exact steps. You'll have to read your manual to figure that out.

Largely, a router finds the name of a computer based on what the computer tells it. But, having worked that out, it'll often retain that information until told to forget it. That's what you need, a way to tell it to forget that information. Because your router has a built-in battery, just turning it off for a while won't do that because it'll remember that information.

As previously mentioned, though, it feels to me like you're going to an awful lot of trouble for something that's pretty meaningless.

Included below is what's currently listed as connected to my router. It's far from accurate (one devices listed more than once, some with wrong names, etc) but the names that appear here have no impact at all on the ability of the router to function or the ability of the connected devices to talk to each other and the Internet at large.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s12/sh/48a83f3d-364f-45c9-92a1-bd75ff94a7e7/e971483186d82b92edc58d84a5b640eb

(Sorry, image didn't work...)

David

tonyberinson
5th February 2014, 08:15 PM
Hi

I have visited a friends place and it seems to be on their router correct - so maybe the MP91 needs to reset - who knows..

glacierdave
6th February 2014, 06:59 AM
Yes.

That's what I've been saying.

Now is the time for you to learn something about your router... or give up and deal with it the way it is on the basis that it'll some day say what you want.

David