PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behavour On Early 2011 MBP

mick132
3rd February 2014, 05:22 PM
Yesterday I was using my early 2011 17" MBP, I had Win7 on Parallels running but not doing anything, I was uploading some photos to Dropbox, and I was listening to some music via iTunes.

All of a sudden the music stopped and some blue and white vertical lines appeared on the screen. The computer was completely unresponsive. I did a hard re-set and when the computer re-started there were thick blue and pink vertical lines on the screen. After a while the screen went blank.

I tried rebooting into recovery mode - no success. This went on all day.

Last night after booking a Genius appointment I thought I would try it one more time. It started normally. I then rebooted into recovery mode and verified the hard drive - no problems detected. I then rebooted and it has been working perfectly ever since.

Is it possible there is a hardware problem building? The Apple care runs out at the end of the month so I need to have it sorted by then.

midnight_e
3rd February 2014, 06:42 PM
Good to take a quick pic when anything like this happens, record any abnormalities now that you are aware there could be a problem.

iMic
3rd February 2014, 07:21 PM
Is it possible that the machine may have a GPU issue?

MacTalk - GPU failures in 2011 MacBook Pros (http://www.mactalk.com.au/content/gpu-failures-2011-macbook-pros-3349/)

Both Early and Late 2011 models use AMD Radeon graphics accelerators. Recently there's been a fair bit of coverage across several Mac communities reporting that these GPUs are starting to fail. Considering the symptoms, it sounds like it could be worth looking in to.

mick132
4th February 2014, 04:55 PM
The picture in the middle with the vertical lines looks very similar to what happened. Also there was the issue of heat at the end of the article. My MBP gets very hot occasionally. Thanks for the replies.

rocketxr
4th February 2014, 05:51 PM
I have exactly the same machine and started having similar problems about 3 weeks ago…black screen, blue screen, unresponsive, continuous startup chimes, white screen with stripes etc.
Had the logic board replaced last Thursday as it was determined to be a GPU problem….then had the replacement logic board replaced today as the original replacement had a faulty Thunderbolt port.

DebB
4th February 2014, 07:51 PM
Yep, sounds like logic board. I have had many problems with these in my MBPs. Take some photos, as suggested and get it looked at pronto!

mick132
6th February 2014, 05:35 PM
Did it again today but this time only stayed off for a couple of hours. However this time I have pictures of the screen and have booked Genius appointment for Sat morning. Luckily I still have 36 days of Apple Care left!

GeoffP
7th February 2014, 11:52 AM
Probably a logic board - had same issue last year with my 2011 MBP - vertical lines when booting, freezing, ended up wouldn't boot at all
New logic board and all is well again