PDA

View Full Version : Lisa 2/10 for sale on ebay

tkc8800
2nd February 2014, 05:54 PM
Lisa 2 for sale on ebay, nothing to do with me btw. I notice this is a U.S model. You don't see too many of these for sale in Australia:

Rare Vintage Apple Lisa 2 10 Macintosh XL Computer Working Restored in Warrawong, NSW | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-Vintage-Apple-Lisa-2-10-Macintosh-XL-Computer-WORKING-RESTORED-/221365747807?pt=AU_Computers_Vintage&hash=item338a6d405f)

This particular one seems very clean. Who's up for guessing how much it will go for, I say $2,000.

jsarchibald
2nd February 2014, 06:52 PM
I've only seen two non-working units in the past 4 years, and they both went for over $500. I don't think $2,000 is a bad guess, and wouldn't be surprised to see more. I'd love to know what else this guy has!

Oldmacs
2nd February 2014, 07:11 PM
I saw that :P I'd assume it has a reserve on it?

cosmichobo
2nd February 2014, 07:24 PM
Phhft. I wouldn't buy it. Hasn't got its original box!

:naughty:

Wow... What an interesting system, with the various mods... Do they hurt the price at all? I know ultimately they make it more usable, but also less "stock"...

MadKiwi
2nd February 2014, 07:35 PM
I remember using one of these (or a very similar model) in my first year at uni in 1987 along with a few early Macs (512 and Pluses if I recall correctly)

tkc8800
2nd February 2014, 07:44 PM
Wow... What an interesting system, with the various mods... Do they hurt the price at all? I know ultimately they make it more usable, but also less "stock"...

Yeah, I think it takes a little away from the value. The hard drive mod, while convenient for modern use, replaces the original 10mb hard drive. And while the 240v mod is handy for using in Australia, the case still says 110v. I'd imagine 240v models exist but would be far more rare than U.S 110v models. But still considering it runs and the condition it's in, it's a great machine.

retrosb
2nd February 2014, 08:03 PM
I thought I'd chime in and say hello! The Lisa is actually my listing, Retro_Shopbox is my eBay store. My partner and I like to collect and restore, but we have too many toys, hence why we have a store full of old stuff :)

Anyway, I thought I'd answer some of points raised (feel free to ask any questions too!) about the Lisa.

There's no reserve, what it sells for it sells for. I've found that the market determines the price pretty well as long as its a decent listing.

The HDD addition is non-invasive. It's mounted on mounting holes already in the drive cage chasis. The X/Profile drive connects to the system using the original power cable and widget data cable. If you were lucky enough to find a widget drive in working order, you could put it in and away you go. Bear in mind though, in all the profile drives for Apple /// and Lisa units, as well as Lisa's I've come across I've never found a widget drive that was working, or at least to a point where it was reliable enough! In the case of this machine, when I acquired it it didn't have the widget drive.

Yes, it was imported from the USA, it was formerly of the University of Michigan. Again, the 120v to 240v conversion is non-invasive. Inside the power supply there's two jumper cables that are moved for either 240v or 120v windings on the main transformer. So if you were inclined to, you could change the jumper leads back and have it running in 120v mode.

I've also uploaded the photos from the listing to my Flickr page so you can see them in higher resolution Lisa - a set on Flickr (http://flic.kr/s/aHsjRD3jgK)

And to answer what else I have.. way too much! Below is a picture of my partner with a fraction of the computers we have, actually enough that could fit in the frame. This actually was for a competition(which she won!) to show who had the geekiest collection of computers.

Anyway if you have any more questions please post them up. More than happy to answer them.

Cheers!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/7253911272_9463573f78_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/66195499@N07/7253911272/)
Natasa's Computers (http://www.flickr.com/photos/66195499@N07/7253911272/) by Bonsaichop (http://www.flickr.com/people/66195499@N07/), on Flickr

simonm
2nd February 2014, 10:40 PM
I saw that :P I'd assume it has a reserve on it?

It's OK, I won't be bidding... :innocent:

leon
3rd February 2014, 12:29 PM
Nice system you have there. One of the missing components to my collection is a nice Lisa or Mac XL. With a 2 year old and a 1 month old, my days of disposable income are long gone.

So is it a Lisa or a Mac XL? I'm assuming the Mac XL?

tkc8800
3rd February 2014, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the info retrosb, sounds like a great machine, you should get a decent price for it. Hey, I bought an Apple ADB mouse from your ebay store a couple of weeks ago. Great to see someone selling this stuff locally.

retrosb
3rd February 2014, 01:25 PM
Nice system you have there. One of the missing components to my collection is a nice Lisa or Mac XL. With a 2 year old and a 1 month old, my days of disposable income are long gone.

So is it a Lisa or a Mac XL? I'm assuming the Mac XL?

Thanks :) To answer your question, the Lisa 2/10 and Macintosh XL are the same machine. The Macintosh XL was just a repackaged Lisa 2/10 with MacWorksXL software instead of LisaOffice and nothing but the date code would actually distinguish the units apart. Mac XL was officially released in the beginning of 1985 and was only produced in very small numbers as they were mainly trying to offload existing stock.

What really defines a Mac XL though is if it includes the video correction adapter, to change the rectangle pixels in the Lisa to square pixels which the Macintosh range would display. It would also require an upgraded ROM (Version 3A). Other other upgrade available to the Mac XL was the 800k floppy disk drive and floppy disk ROM. Both of these upgrades were optional extras.

This Lisa however does not have the upgraded ROM, it has the 88 version of the CPU ROM which was the latest version to support LisaOffice OS but will also run MacWorksXL which is System 6.0.1 and is also included on a compact flash card with this particular computer.

Furthermore the datecode on this unit is 4187, which from what I've found translates to 1984, 18th week, 7th day. Around mid April.

retrosb
3rd February 2014, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the info retrosb, sounds like a great machine, you should get a decent price for it. Hey, I bought an Apple ADB mouse from your ebay store a couple of weeks ago. Great to see someone selling this stuff locally.

No worries, I do hope I get a good price for it also ;) they're not cheap to bring into the country!

A desktop bus mouse II? :P I have quite the surplus of items and some very exotic accessories but we're pretty limited with the time we have so usually only the more popular stuff comes on our store.

tkc8800
12th February 2014, 09:19 AM
Ended up going for $1,525. Not a bad buy I reckon.

macman142
12th February 2014, 09:34 AM
Too much for me BUT it seems a good price, I mean by the time you source one, pay freight for one and repair one to functionality, surely you're looking at $1000 alone. And this one is restored and functional, seems good!

leon
12th February 2014, 09:36 AM
Went for less than I expected. If I was single I'd have bought it at that price.

Byrd
12th February 2014, 11:23 AM
Reckon it went for a fair price too, considering all the time spent restoring it and checking it over.

tkc8800
17th February 2014, 09:59 AM
It seems this machine has been re-listed:

Rare Vintage Apple Lisa 2 10 Macintosh XL Computer Working Restored in Warrawong, NSW | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-Vintage-Apple-Lisa-2-10-Macintosh-XL-Computer-WORKING-RESTORED-/321325004810?pt=AU_Computers_Vintage&hash=item4ad076780a)

macman142
17th February 2014, 12:19 PM
What a shame for the seller. I mean, he's spent a lot of time and passion on it only to get an almost break-even price and (assumedly) a non-paying bidder!

Hope the second time around gets more success.

Edge
17th February 2014, 12:40 PM
Different date code. It seems that it's actually a second machine.

tim
17th February 2014, 01:03 PM
Different machine- this one has a hard drive and the last one had an x/profile instead.

Alexander has a few of these I think- got one from him a year ago.

macman142
17th February 2014, 01:32 PM
Oh cool!

tkc8800
17th February 2014, 02:30 PM

Yeah, good spot it is different.

retrosb
17th February 2014, 02:47 PM
Different machine- this one has a hard drive and the last one had an x/profile instead.

Alexander has a few of these I think- got one from him a year ago.

Indeed it is another machine. The first one has already been delivered to its new owner. And as Tim said I do/did have a few of these, but this will probably be the last one listed for a while if I ever do list another one. There really is quite alot of work put into these units, spare working parts are impossible to get for a reasonable price and even then work needs to be put in to get them working again.

I thought i'd add in the information on the date code on this one as it seemed a few people were interested in its original manufacturer date on the first one I had listed. But if anyone has any questions feel free to ask :)

Edge
17th February 2014, 03:53 PM
Non Mac-realted, but I'm here drooling over some of your restored audio.

The Sansui AU-101 is a favourite of mine. Wish I could afford the Rams turntable. And have been sniffing around for a matching ST-88 and TA-88 set for cheap.

The restorations look great.

retrosb
17th February 2014, 07:58 PM
Non Mac-realted, but I'm here drooling over some of your restored audio.

The Sansui AU-101 is a favourite of mine. Wish I could afford the Rams turntable. And have been sniffing around for a matching ST-88 and TA-88 set for cheap.

The restorations look great.

Ahh thank you, I had a Marantz 1060 listed recently which I was always very fond of which sold in a couple of hours to someone in Norway of all places. Those pieces always sell quick! Shameless plug if you havn't seen it yet: Vintage Audio Bliss (http://www.vintageaudiobliss.com) my restoration blog ;)

I loved that TA-88 +ST-88 combo I had listed, just had nowhere to put it. That went to the USA.

For listening at home I have a Marantz 7 pre + Marantz 8b valve power. Lots of listening goodness :)