PDA

View Full Version : Forever Searching for a Power Mac G5.

iMic
6th January 2014, 07:50 AM
I was recently speaking to a contact from overseas that had just made a recent Mac haul. All freebies, and included in the lot were 7 Power Mac G5 towers. All functional, all free of charge.

Ever since I worked at an Apple dealer, I've been on the hunt for a Power Mac G5. I know they're outdated, unsupported, heavy, power hungry and sometimes unreliable, but I would still like to find one. The specifications don't matter, and even the functional state of the machine can be a little sketchy.

Several years later, I still haven't been able to find one.

Occasionally you see ads come up on Gumtree for a standalone tower, but they always seem to command a premium. Several hundred dollars for a machine is outside of the realm of most vintage collectors, and yet I can't imagine there's a huge market for these things now. I can't see any production environments still purchasing any hardware of this age, and consumers looking at used machines can get themselves into much newer, more powerful and more supported systems, often for much less than the prices these towers are going for. Even Intel based iMacs can be found during hard rubbish collection these days.

I even recall someone here on MacTalk finding a Power Mac G5 for around the $100 mark. I think it was in a Cash Converters of all places, which is strange, because normally Cash Converters is where I'd expect to find electronic devices at extremely marked-up prices, but that wasn't a bad deal.

The G5 wasn't an uncommon machine, not as much as some other systems I've come across at least, but their whereabouts sure are a well kept secret, it seems. Perhaps it's Adelaide. I'm not sure.

All I know is that I sure wish I was over in America right now. Seven G5s? Sign me up.

leon
6th January 2014, 09:27 AM
I see them on eBay all the time selling for less than $50.
There's a whole bunch on there now for low prices.
Usually they are all in Sydney.