PDA

View Full Version : Restoring an old Macintosh

mbd
2nd February 2004, 11:28 PM
Hi,

I was able to liberate an old Mac SE machine from work a month or so ago, and it's in severe need of some polishing up to make it look nice again. The plastic is very yellowish and it's had a variety of stickers stuck on it over the years which need to come off.

For the oldskool mac users (who I know are on here), do you have any suggestions on how to restore a yellowing mac back to its former shiny glory?

Velociraptors
2nd February 2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by RocketFactory@Feb 2 2004, 11:28 PM
Hi,

I was able to liberate an old Mac SE machine from work a month or so ago, and it's in severe need of some polishing up to make it look nice again. The plastic is very yellowish and it's had a variety of stickers stuck on it over the years which need to come off.

For the oldskool mac users (who I know are on here), do you have any suggestions on how to restore a yellowing mac back to its former shiny glory?
I've not been able to get yellowing off. Even a scratch on a badly yellowed case will show more yellowed plastic for a little bit underneath :(.

However for the stickers, goo, grime, and general muck that accumulates on cases, using Napisan seems to work the best! It's an oxygen bleach, and soaking the plastic parts (sans electronics!) in it overnight makes a huge difference. After that soaking, everything mucky just wipes off, and a quick rinse brings things up clean

Some felt marker ink won't come off so easily, but a bit of a going over with toothpaste can work there. It may leave the area a bit shiny, but still... better than someone's name written down the side of the case!.

Normal chlorine bleach works too, but I think one of my machines that went through that cleaning process suffered a bit (http://www.danamania.com/gallery/beige/abd). It's not so bad on completely plastic parts, like a keyboard (http://www.danamania.com/gallery/beige/abm) though. It can bleach apple logos to a pastel rainbow too!

dana

the_argon
3rd February 2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by danamania@Feb 3 2004, 12:18 AM
Some felt marker ink won't come off so easily, but a bit of a going over with toothpaste can work there.
The best/easiest thing I have found to remove permanent texta from any surface is Aeroguard... just spray a litttle on the cloth or surface and it wipes straight off.

Don't know what the chemicals would do to the plastic tho...

Kinda makes you wonder why we put/spray this sorta shit all over us. :unsure:

stevejay
3rd February 2004, 10:09 AM
teatree oil in alcohol solution is pretty good for getting stubborn stickers off plastic, but be careful in confined workshops, you may find yourself having an involuntary horizontalisation :)

Byrd
3rd February 2004, 06:10 PM
Sounds like you've been experimenting steve :)

Currawong
8th February 2004, 11:29 AM
To get labels off, try Citroclean or any product that uses citrus acid. However, there is a huge risk that Citroclean will dissolve the plastic - a friend of mine was using it successfully on many beige boxes until he tried on a 15" multiscan monitor, where it started eating away at the plastic!

The yellowing is due to UV light exposure, and unfortunately, it's permanent, as the plastic itself has changed.

pipsqeek
9th February 2004, 12:28 PM
Aerogaurd can strip the varnish off stained wood furniture.

That little bit of info is thanks to my lovely wife. <_<

I love her to death.

Pitty about the nicely restored (expensive) dinning chairs.

I put my blood sweat and tears into them, and now I can say, alittle Aerogaurd also.

Steve

pipsqeek
9th February 2004, 12:35 PM
Sorry about the double, the first post my browser sat there and brought up a timeout error. So I posted again, then realised the first post went through.

Sorry

Steve

Disko
9th February 2004, 01:32 PM
Hey, don&#39;t worry about it. We have an interesting host... timeouts will happen.
We&#39;re friendly admins, we don&#39;t get mad over little things. :)