PDA

View Full Version : Kernel_task on mavericks

DamosMac
3rd January 2014, 06:35 PM
Hi all,
I've had this problem with my 2011 MacBook Pro running 10.9 going really sluggish because of a process "kernel_task" using almost all the CPU.

Today I had enough of it and reloaded the computer.. After going through the wizard creating my account etc, the first thing I did was open activity monitor and shortly after that the process appeared again and started using between 60-90% of the processor.

My MacBook Pro has a 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM.. And the quad core i7 processor, so typically it's a very fast machine.. However this process is bringing it to its knees. Before loading I tried resetting pram, repairing disk permissions etc.. But nothing worked.. So I was surprised that after a fresh install that it was still doing it.

Has anyone got ANY suggestions? I'm tempted to try going back to 10.8 because I don't ever remember having this problem with it.

Oldmacs
3rd January 2014, 08:40 PM
I have the same problem as well!!! Seems to happen randomly for me. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro (13 inch classic)

DamosMac
3rd January 2014, 08:43 PM
Well you'll be happy to know that I've done some more digging and after trying everything.. doing this about 90mins ago seemed to have fixed the problem:

open terminal and run:

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/*.plist

Iain Best
4th January 2014, 08:52 PM
Had a very similar problem on my current model MacBook Air recently.
I found that it occurs when the computer goes to sleep with headphones plugged in. On wake, kernel_task takes up 100% CPU (hogs 1 core) - until the headphones are unplugged.

SimonBrowneNZ
26th April 2014, 05:06 AM
Thanks very much DamosMac - I used your suggestion and all is well in the world again. I created a folder called Recovery_Kernel_Task and moved the whole 50 plist files in Resources to it and rebooted. Bliss - kernel task is 6% and 699MB - which is great compared to what it was.
Incidentally, there was no plist for my MacBookAir6,2 - found under System Information, Model Identifier - which others have suggested is the only plist you need to move out of the Resources folder - so I moved them all and bingo, a speedy MBA again.
FYI - i have 2013 MacBookAir 13" but feel sure DamosMac's suggestion will work for anyone suffering from Kernel overload. From what I understand, plist files are configuration files that are provided by software providers or created as required so deleting them simply resets things back to default settings - so no harm can be done by deleting them - but I kept a copy of them in a different folder just in case.