PDA

View Full Version : Trying to change the device name on my RMBP.

tonyberinson
29th December 2013, 09:23 PM
Hi Everyone

I am trying to change my device name as it appears whenever a list of devices appear - for example on my router.

For example..

This example shows antonysnamobile - i have tried using terminal and changing the hostname using set hostname...

I want to change it but doesn't work - also looked at System Preferences -> Sharing and those are different again..

So basically I need help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3e6MZG-o5-vcEFUbnZzZUV0dEU/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks

Thingme
29th December 2013, 11:49 PM
System Preferences>Sharing is all I've used.
Had to change it today, as a matter of fact.
It was easy and it stuck.
If needs be, use that Computer Name Edit button might be more successful.
Your link produces a blank page.

glacierdave
30th December 2013, 07:11 AM
Changing the name of the computer is definitely at System Preferences -> Sharing.

But having that change reflected on other devices can also require action on other devices. In the case of your router, it's probably also your DHCP server and it may not notice a changed computer name until the DHCP lease is renewed (and possibly not even then). If you're really keen to have it look the way you want try restarting your router as well.

David

tonyberinson
30th December 2013, 08:36 AM
Hi Dave

I have a small MF91 from Telstra - and I have turned it off and on again and it still says the same thing...

This is driving me nuts - LOL

http://i44.tinypic.com/erkkn7.png

Apologies for the size!

I want that to say TonysRMBP - not Antonysnamobile

glacierdave
30th December 2013, 09:14 AM
Sounds like a fair bit of trouble for something you won't see all that often (assuming you don't really log into your router regularly).

But, anyway, first double check that your RMBP shows the right system name using the process already outlined. If that's correct then that's the first step.

In all honesty, if you have that right then everything else will sort itself out over time. The rest of it is a matter of caches and stored information that will update periodically.

If you really want it to display the way you want straight away (assuming it's how you want it on the RMBP already) then you'll need to find a way to clear the cached information on the router. I would have thought a restart would do that but I guess it depends on the router. The MF91 has it's own battery so just turning it off and on again probably isn't clearing it's cached info. Look through the web interface and see if there's a way to reset the DHCP side of things. Failing that, you may need to turn the router off and remove the battery for 15 mins or so (assuming it doesn't have some kind of NVRAM cache - I really don't know, never needed to care that much about these kind of devices).

David