PDA

View Full Version : Cant delete some files from Trash

pcnorman
29th December 2013, 05:42 PM
Hi guys. Got myself into a mess and not exactly sure how. (Sound familiar?). To cut a long story short my Mac (7.1, OS 10.6.8) is suddenly accumulating predominantly *.ipa files after iphone syncs. It happened after I tried to update a MacFamily Tree version only to find the update needed OS7. Attempting to restore from Trash indicated that there was a newer version and was a sure I wanted to delete it?. I had saved a copy elsewhere just in case (:D) which I restored with a delete and paste. Problem is now I cant clear the trash of assorted files including the deleted Familytree *.dmg files as I get this message: "The operation canít be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003)". Well that's nice to know, but...

Any suggestions?

bennyling
29th December 2013, 06:51 PM
Does Finder -> Secure Empty Trash work?

FineWine
29th December 2013, 10:50 PM
I used to have your problem when I had no more need for an email attachment and had trashed it but the trash would not empty afterwards. I now use a little app called Trash It! (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8214/trash-it!) It is Mavericks compatable.

Cheers

Chundermuffin
30th December 2013, 03:06 PM
Secure Empty Trash works for me when this happens, or if the files are larger a reboot will usually let me empty trash normally.

Thanks for the Trash It! suggestion, now I have a third option :)

harryb2448
1st January 2014, 07:20 AM
Or a simple reboot?

pcnorman
1st January 2014, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys. Reboot was my first thought. (Macs are in line with my electrical competency- if its not the fuse I'm stuffed).
"Secure Empty Trash" gives me the same error as before.
I looked up Trash It! in the App Store but it came back blank. Searching for "Trash" only returned 36 options. I guess I'll work through them one at a time.

FineWine
1st January 2014, 05:21 PM
Click on the link in my post

CrypticSquared
2nd January 2014, 01:25 PM
If you are happy opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app then you could just dive into ~/.Trash and rm (-rf) the offending files. If it complains about being in use then you can use `lsof` to find out what is using the file and then quit the process. If for some reason you delete the trash folder and when you move files to the trash it complains "the files will be deleted immediately" then just open Disk Utility and run repair disk to get the trash to behave the proper way. there is also /.Trashes .

pcnorman
2nd January 2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks FineWine. I missed the link. Yep that worked! Well done

AfterBurner_1
7th January 2014, 02:02 AM
hmm, I've been having similar such issues, except on a system wide basis.