PDA

View Full Version : Second Hard Drive in Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro.

skydivemac
18th December 2013, 09:19 PM
I am toying with the idea of removing my superdrive and replacing it with a HDD using a data doubler from OWC. I have a 1TB Seagate SSHD Hybrid and I am getting conflicting reports as to whether I can use this in my laptop which is a MacBook Pro 8.1.I believe the issue is with transfer speeds of 6Gbs. Can anyone advise whether I can use this in the optibay.I have a 1TB crucial SSD in the laptop ATM.

Brains
19th December 2013, 03:18 AM
You can 'optibay' any 9mm-high storage device in your machine that you like, but it will only communicate at SATA 1.0 speeds (1.5 Gbps).

JimWOz
19th December 2013, 08:20 AM
There were problems with the Optical Drive bay SATA speeds in the 15 inch 2011 MBP's, but The 13's are OK I think.
Check this (http://blog.macsales.com/10433-macbook-pro-2011-models-and-sata-3-0-6-0gbs-update-5272011) article on the OWC Blog. Note the mention of a firmware update that fixed the issue for the 13's.

Whilst the board supports SATA 3 on both the main drive bay and optical, the 15's had a cable problem with speeds higher than SATA 2.
(A real problem because it would negotiate SATA 3 speed with an SSD drive at a machine level, and then not see it at all at the software level. Put a SATA 2 HDD in the Optical bay of an MBP 15 and everything is fine.)

Apple only use a SATA 1 Optical Drive in there.

And, as Brains says, it needs to be a 9.5mm high drive in the optical bay too.