PDA

View Full Version : What OS system to use.

piperjon
11th December 2013, 08:06 AM
Hi Guy's,

Just a question about what Mac OS is better.
I'm new to Mac's and have now a IMAC 21.5" that I have had to change the HD hard drive as it stopped working to a SSD and have the Maverick OS installed now with the update from the APP store that is free. But I have seen that there are others that can be use. I feel that the new update to Maverick OS from 10.6. to 10.8 would be the latest OS. But seeing the others I'm not sure. So what I have now is the right set up for me??
Cheers
John

harryb2448
11th December 2013, 08:25 AM
Mavericks installed is just fine. Mavericks is OS X.9 and the OS X.8 you mention is Mountain Lion. Mavericks is, imho, a faster OS.

Oldmacs
11th December 2013, 02:32 PM
10.8 Mountain Lion for the moment, I've found Mavericks (10.9) very buggy, as it is still a .0 release.

piperjon
11th December 2013, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I found that I lost Launch on the tool bar. Gee you can tell I have been using win PC's.
Is the launch icon part of some software or was it in Lion software.
Thanks
John

CrypticSquared
11th December 2013, 03:27 PM
I was an early adopter from 10.4 - 10.8. Recently got held back from 10.9 (mavericks) due to some missing drivers with my 3rd party audio hardware. They have now been released but I am still holding off for the time being. Keep an eye on the usual suspects of sites like tuaw, appleinsider, macrumors, apple support discussions, 9to5mac, cultofmac, arstechnica.com etc ,etc. Lots of people are replying to the Beta news in comments and starting new discussions about bugs. If none of these bugs apply to you, then by all means, use the latest version.

Oldmacs
11th December 2013, 03:53 PM
Do you mean Launch pad?

This may help

How to recover the Mac Launchpad Icon in 3 Easy Steps - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJzemfksNvo)

piperjon
11th December 2013, 05:12 PM
Hi Oldmacs,

It's not in my system. cannot find it any where. It was on the dock before I had the hard drive stopped working. So I bought the SSD and down loaded maverick from the setup disk. Then downloaded the free Maverick the app store. And now no launch icon on the dock. Does that mean that it's not in Maverick software??

John

Oldmacs
11th December 2013, 09:43 PM
If you go to about this mac, what does it say in terms 10. Something?

piperjon
13th December 2013, 05:21 PM
Hi,

I had to go to Wollongong yesterday and just got home. is that in hardware overview?? Model ID??
It shows 10.1

john

Oldmacs
13th December 2013, 06:33 PM
I mean which os it is running? Eg 10.6 is Snow Leopard, 10.7 is Lion, 10.8 is Mountain Lion and 10.9 is Mavericks :)

piperjon
13th December 2013, 07:03 PM
HI,

I'm new to mac and some time I don't know where to go and find these things sorry. But where do I find that.
John

bennyling
13th December 2013, 10:04 PM
Apple logo, top left. About this Mac.

What does it say for version under the big grey Apple logo?

piperjon
13th December 2013, 10:18 PM
Hi, It shows 10.6.8.

Gee I sure have to learn hay.
Thanks

Thingme
14th December 2013, 06:45 AM
The timeline is:
OS 10.6.* is from a few years back codenamed Snow Leopard. 10.6.8 is the last of a string of updates for Snow Leopard.
OS 10.7.* is codenamed Lion.
OS 10.8.* is codenamed Mountain Lion.
OS 10.9.* is codenamed Mavericks. The current release is 10.9.0. We are waiting for some bug fixes expected in 10.9.1. I find however, that for the most part, Mavericks version 10.9.0 runs very sweetly very fast. It's on all my Macs. You need have no hesitation in moving to the new Mac OS.

So you see there is a bit of a gap between the Mac OS you are running and the latest.
Doesn't seem like you've **installed** Mavericks yet if "About this Mac" under the Apple menu (top left) says 10.6.8.

Mavericks, the free update was downloaded right? It's not an update actually but a full OS upgrade. Downloading the app does not install it. The download places the downloaded Installer in your Applications folder on the hard disk/SSD. Find the Installer in Applications then double-click its icon to begin the installation of Mavericks.

piperjon
14th December 2013, 07:38 AM
Hi Thingme,

Thanks for the info. I will check it all later today or this evening and hock up the internet and go on line with my mac. I am still using my old windows 7 pc which I hate. I know I should have bought a new IMAC in 2009 or later. This second hand one I bought sure has been in the repair shop a few times. I had to change the super drive too. I also had to buy the Sync Ribbon for the LED driver as it was stuffed on one end and there was noway I could get it back in the slot. So I hope nothing else goes wrong.
John

piperjon
14th December 2013, 07:50 AM
Hi again,
I just thought of this. When I go into Applications folder and find the installer would I have to be on the air?? as I have not installed my Bigpond G4 USB stick yet.

John

piperjon
14th December 2013, 09:53 AM
Hi, I'm on my Imac now and what a big difference it is with the SSD. Anyway I must not have down loaded Maverick. There is no installer in the Applications folder. So I suppose I will have to down load from the App store. O yes I just checked for any updates and there is about 3.5GB there to download. I'll do that later as I will run into a slow download because I have just about use it all up. and as you know it goes so slow until the 20th which it will renew. Gee this is beautiful to use than my window 7 PC.

John

Thingme
14th December 2013, 10:31 AM
Gee this is beautiful to use than my window 7 PC.
John

Glad you're enjoying the experience John.

piperjon
15th December 2013, 01:39 PM
Tell Me what does "remote install Mac O S X" mean??

I clicked on software update and started to let the down loads start but it will take about 6 to 7 hours. So I'll do it later on tonight.
Cheers john

piperjon
16th December 2013, 01:55 PM
Hi, Gee I thought some one would help here with my question. I'm new to mac that's why I asked. Not to worry.

Thanks

glacierdave
16th December 2013, 02:04 PM
Tell Me what does "remote install Mac O S X" mean??

I clicked on software update and started to let the down loads start but it will take about 6 to 7 hours. So I'll do it later on tonight.

Hi, Gee I thought some one would help here with my question. I'm new to mac that's why I asked. Not to worry.

MacTalk is free. Nobody's getting paid to answer questions. Many people like to take a break on Sunday's. Perhaps that explains the lack of answers?

Also, perhaps people aren't sure what's going on so left the question for someone else who may no better.

(Personally, not sure what the remote install thing is. A little context may help, though. i.e. where are you seeing the remote install? Within a particular app? On the desktop? In a requester?)

David

CrypticSquared
16th December 2013, 03:04 PM
MacTalk is free. Nobody's getting paid to answer questions. Many people like to take a break on Sunday's. Perhaps that explains the lack of answers?

Also, perhaps people aren't sure what's going on so left the question for someone else who may no better.

(Personally, not sure what the remote install thing is. A little context may help, though. i.e. where are you seeing the remote install? Within a particular app? On the desktop? In a requester?)

David

Remote install was introduced with the first machines without optical drives, the macbook air iirc.

piperjon
16th December 2013, 08:15 PM
Hi
Just got back because of bad storms around us and the lighting sure stuff up your gear. I don't know why it is in this system but I get the free download from Apple store and go from there. Thanks for all your help guys.
I'll be back for sure as the IMAC system is so different from windows PC's.

John

bennyling
17th December 2013, 06:17 AM
Hi
Just got back because of bad storms around us and the lighting sure stuff up your gear. I don't know why it is in this system but I get the free download from Apple store and go from there. Thanks for all your help guys.
I'll be back for sure as the IMAC system is so different from windows PC's.

John

This post makes no sense.

harryb2448
17th December 2013, 07:51 AM
This explains it.

Mac OS X 10.6: Using Remote Install Mac OS X (http://support.apple.com/kb/ph6450)

piperjon
17th December 2013, 07:59 AM
Ha, I suppose I should have said. I had to turn my system off because a bad storm that had come through here at Sunny Corner. I use a 4G modem. My antenna is 10m in the air with a yaga beam pointing at the Telstra tower. So if a storm comes I have to pull the pin just in case a bit of lighting doesn't hit my antenna.

So because I am new to mac I'm sure i will have many questions to ask as I am working through this new system.
Thanks john

piperjon
17th December 2013, 09:00 AM
I thank you for the info. I wasn't sure, but i thought I would need a remote like you use for the TV and others. But now that i have read what it is. Thanks again.

John

CrypticSquared
17th December 2013, 09:15 AM
you may want to keep a google search page open...

piperjon
22nd December 2013, 09:29 AM
Hi again Guys,

Well i downloaded from app store the Maverick OX and now checked the version and now have the 10.9.1

I also have the launchpad icon on my system. the system is running really nice and smooth. Very happy I bought this IMAC late 2009.

John