PDA

View Full Version : Samsung or Crucial SSD for MBP

Meh 626
10th December 2013, 04:55 PM
Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a SSD for my 2010 MacBook Pro (SATA II, 3Gbps).
I've been tossing up between the Samsung 840 EVO series and the Crucial M500. I'm looking at the size range of 750GB-1TB. I understand I won't achieve the full speeds of the SSD due to having SATA II, but it will still be an improvement over a HDD.

My research has informed me that both are fast and capable drives. But it seems some people don't recommend drives with SandForce controllers (the 840 is based on a SandForce controller) due to their slower performance with uncompressed data transfers. Where as it appears the Marvell controllers (Crucial) are more capable at uncompressed transfers. Whilst, other people seem perfectly happy with the 840 series, such as MacMiniColo which have deployed hundreds of them.

I'm wondering if the members of MacTalk can help in providing some advice on this situation.

Thanks,

Brains
12th December 2013, 05:17 PM
Go Intel and get yourself a 520 on run-out special (there's a few around) or a new 530. When it comes to efficiency and (more importantly) reliability, Intel's SSDs are second to none. Get a Samsung if you can't find an Intel SSD in your dollars-per-gigabyte price range.

Everything else you may as well consider disposable.

For maximum durability and longest life, ensure you have 'overprovisioning'. Intel's do this as a matter-of-course, Samsung's you need to enable it during the first set-up and format. Yes, you 'lose' between five and ten percent of the drive's total capacity, but that 'lost' space becomes your huge reserve of working data-cells that get called in when (not if, when) an in-use data-cell starts to go bad and gets written out. Your SSD maintains a fixed initial capacity, instead of slowly shrinking over time as bad cells get locked out.

Also, re-think your desire to go for the terabyte models, because you're also going to need reliable storage for your backups ... and a person who doesn't maintain an accurate, frequently-incremented backup of their solid state drive is a bloody idiot.

Deanodriver
12th December 2013, 09:46 PM
Does that MBP have an nVidia chipset? I had issues with my MBP (late 2008 though) and SandForce SSDs where it would only work at 1.5Gbps. New SSD (Crucial M4) fixed that.

Meh 626
13th December 2013, 11:26 PM
Go Intel and get yourself a 520 on run-out special (there's a few around) or a new 530. When it comes to efficiency and (more importantly) reliability, Intel's SSDs are second to none. Get a Samsung if you can't find an Intel SSD in your dollars-per-gigabyte price range.

Everything else you may as well consider disposable.

For maximum durability and longest life, ensure you have 'overprovisioning'. Intel's do this as a matter-of-course, Samsung's you need to enable it during the first set-up and format. Yes, you 'lose' between five and ten percent of the drive's total capacity, but that 'lost' space becomes your huge reserve of working data-cells that get called in when (not if, when) an in-use data-cell starts to go bad and gets written out. Your SSD maintains a fixed initial capacity, instead of slowly shrinking over time as bad cells get locked out.

Also, re-think your desire to go for the terabyte models, because you're also going to need reliable storage for your backups ... and a person who doesn't maintain an accurate, frequently-incremented backup of their solid state drive is a bloody idiot.

Thank you for your words of wisdom Brains. Cheers for the info about over provisioning, I'll ensure to over provision which ever SSD I end up getting.

Does that MBP have an nVidia chipset? I had issues with my MBP (late 2008 though) and SandForce SSDs where it would only work at 1.5Gbps. New SSD (Crucial M4) fixed that.

My MBP has a nVidia GPU but Intel SATA. Did you experience any graphics issues or only slow link speed?

Deanodriver
14th December 2013, 11:41 PM
Thank you for your words of wisdom Brains. Cheers for the info about over provisioning, I'll ensure to over provision which ever SSD I end up getting.

My MBP has a nVidia GPU but Intel SATA. Did you experience any graphics issues or only slow link speed?

Graphics was fine, just the link speed really :)

Jimbobba2773
6th January 2014, 07:54 AM
I've been using the Samsung SSD's and they work fine.