PDA

View Full Version : (serious?) Safari Woes (10.4.4?)

mechcon
19th January 2006, 09:54 AM
Yesterday at work I was surfing the net with no dramas. today:

Safari can’t open the page “http://forums.appletalk.com.au/”. The error was: “bad server response” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011) Please choose Report Bug to Apple from the Safari menu, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.

I wonder if it's something wrong with my comp? or the network? then realised, maybe not? as im accessing this in firefox with no dramas!!!

HELLLPPP :(

osx 10.4.4 by the way

update: adding to this, the network here seems to work better with ip addresses for the proxy, instead of a .pac file.. and well.. whenever i untick in system preferences/network/proxies the "Proxy server requires a password" it unexpectedly quits!!!!!

marc
19th January 2006, 10:35 AM
I'm sorry I'm not much help, but I'm running 10.4.4 here and accessing AT with no probs.

raj
19th January 2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by mechcon@Jan 19 2006, 09:54 AM

update: adding to this, the network here seems to work better with ip addresses for the proxy, instead of a .pac file.. and well.. whenever i untick in system preferences/network/proxies the "Proxy server requires a password" it unexpectedly quits!!!!!
the .pac file's don't seem to like my Mac @ work either. I'm behind a UN & PWD proxy also. I've had the same trouble with unticking the use password box also. If you go in to change the password and blank it out then I think it unticks or ignores that you have it ticked from memory.

As for the Null domain error I presume it works in Firefox or another browser? If you haven't tried then do that first, otherwise give the machine a fresh boot and perhaps reinstall safari.

mechcon
19th January 2006, 10:53 AM
yeah it was fine for me yesterday, but today for some reason it aint working (in safari)

its really bugging me :(

I've tried to replicate the proxy settings in firefox to the settings in system prefs, and no luck

homodelphinus
19th January 2006, 11:02 AM
I have had the same problem with one or two particular websites only. I can happily surf along on any website and then try to access a particular website and get the same response as you.

If you reload the page it usually loads without problem but every time you go to a new page on that particular site it does the same thing.

I can have another site loading perfecly in one tab and in the next tab have the error that you refer to.

This is on my wireless network at home without any proxies.

Sorry, I know this doesn't answer the why, but it is not just limited to proxies.

mechcon
19th January 2006, 11:15 AM
I've browsed the apple discussion forums, no one has any idea, spoke to my techie at nextbyte? same deal...

about to check macosxhints.com but i fear the same dilemma

granted that the internet is fine at home for me :\ (will rush home tonight to try, what with the paranoia n all)

mechcon
19th January 2006, 12:05 PM
update... thanks for the help in #apple, muchly appreciated, but sadly, what we've tried to do folks is, add in a different dns, flush dns cache, reinstall osx 10.4.4 (repaired permissions before/after)

and still no go

raj
19th January 2006, 12:27 PM
found this on Apple Discussions:

I was having the same problem with Safari not connected to server, or server not found. IE wouldn't work either. Researching another problem (unable to connect with software update), I stumbled onto a possible solution. At least it worked for me. Going into System Pref, Network, Proxies, I unchecked everything under "Select a proxy server to configure". That solved my problem and now can access Safari and IE.

Perhaps if you do that then re-boot and add your proxy settings back in as you have to have them. Alternatively try using Authoxy [ LINK (http://www.hrsoftworks.net/downloads/Authoxy3.1.2.dmg) ]

mechcon
19th January 2006, 12:29 PM
funilly enough? system preferences crashes when i untick "use username and password" for the web proxy tick option, might give that proggy a shot

mechcon
19th January 2006, 12:41 PM
okay... authoxy didn't work (permissions repaired, rebooted, no luck)

chrome
19th January 2006, 04:49 PM
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=192999 discussed this problem... something about the proxy server being at fault.

designers_hub
19th January 2006, 04:51 PM
i just had enough and switched to Camino, the same as Safari but alot faster. No crashes yet, been using it for a month now.

mechcon
19th January 2006, 05:54 PM
end to the saga:

- came home, internet works fine in safari

- may use camino at work from now on

- must remind myself to urinate on the proxy server

forgie
22nd January 2006, 02:58 PM
I use Camino full time. It's way more slick then Safari....