PDA

View Full Version : Network Drive incremental backups?

maghemi
23rd November 2013, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right area to put this one, but I've got a backup question.

We've currently got a Time Capsule on our network that is used as an external hard drive for one of our laptops (it's connected to the network so that the drive is accessible when the laptop is connected to the thunderbolt display and when it isn't)

What I'm wanting to do is a regular backup of this drive to one of the NAS' that I have on my network. I don't want to include the drive in the Time Machine backup (there is a separate Time Capsule doing normal backups of various laptops) but I would like a Time Machine-esk backup of the drive. ie it has versions of files saved.

I was trying to get the NAS (a synology 411J) to do this but it seems you can only send backup of the current NAS to another, not draw in a backup from elsewhere.

I do have a Mac Mini that is on the network that is running headless, that is on all the time and is just a media server so I'm thinking that I could install some sort of software on that which will perform the backups from the Time Capsule to a NAS.

But I can't find the right software.

Anyone have any suggestions on what software might be best for this. The Mini is running Mavericks.

nibbles
23rd November 2013, 08:52 PM
A cron job (possibly launchd which Apple recommends over cron) that calls an rsync script? This should suffice provided there are no time machine backup bundles included in the directory to be backed up otherwise you'll end up copying the entire bundle each time.

How to Make Incremental Backups With Rsync (http://www.maketecheasier.com/make-incremental-backups-with-rsync/)

maghemi
23rd November 2013, 09:00 PM
Excellent I shall give that a try.

There won't be any time machine backups in there. They're completely separate from any of this 'working data' on the external drives.

I've just been getting a bit paranoid of late, even with UPS' we've had a couple of times where the power has gone out lately and the UPS's have run out. One of those occasions, the Time Capsule that was housing the time machine backups decided that it was going to format itself losing all the time machine history. So as none of the network drives are backed up, I decided it's time to re-purpose some of that spare space on the verious NAS' (including one that it virtually empty and was bought just to backup the backups, but never used). My goal is to have all data in at least 3 places.

maghemi
23rd November 2013, 09:04 PM
I do wonder how long it would take to backup time machine bundles though, because it would be handy to have a backup of them each night.

nibbles
24th November 2013, 07:17 AM
I do wonder how long it would take to backup time machine bundles though, because it would be handy to have a backup of them each night.

How are the devices connected? Gigabit ethernet? 100Mbit ethernet? WiFi? The issue with backing up time machine bundles is that you would need to copy over each in its entirety rather than just the changes.

maghemi
24th November 2013, 08:08 AM
They used to be Wifi, but now they're all connected via Gigabit ethernet.

nibbles
24th November 2013, 08:56 AM
Might be an option to have it backup the time machine bundles once a week overnight.