PDA

View Full Version : Replacement SATA cable, 2010 MacBook Pro

Mrspeedy
23rd November 2013, 05:54 PM
Turns out I need to replace the SATA cable for my hard drive, as the problem was not a failing had drive.

Any advice as to the best place to purchase from? I see there is a few on eBay, but would prefer a local place (preferably Sydney). Is it possible hat the apple store would have it?

LCGuy
23rd November 2013, 08:16 PM
Try Microseconds in Ultimo. (Welcome to MicroSeconds (http://www.microseconds.com.au)) AASPs aren't allowed to sell Apple Service Parts direct to the public without doing the installation, and there's no way you'll be able to get one from the Apple Store without having them install it.

Really, if you can wait for it to come from the US, and you insist on installing it yourself, I'd just get it from iFixit or PowerBook Medic.

Mrspeedy
28th November 2013, 01:48 PM
Cheers. I ended up getting it off Ebay from an Australian seller, which meant quick shipping. Very easy to install.

I did go to the Apple store on Sunday to try my luck, the assistant advised me that they would have to do it and it would take t least 3 days + labour costs etc. She actually recommended that it would be easier to get it off ebay - I thanked her for her honesty.

It seems like the SATA cable failing in 2009 + 2010 macbooks is fairly common.