PDA

View Full Version : iMessage activation

mallo
21st November 2013, 08:05 AM
Hey guys,

Firstly, I know there is a lot if info already around on this topic, so I have done A LOT of googling over the past few weeks and nothing seems to help.

3 weeks ago my girlfriends iPhone 5 was playing up, so we took it into an apple store and they gave her a new one, thanks apple.

When we got home she restored from a backup and all went smoothly until we realised her iMessages weren't working.

It just gets stuck on the 'waiting for activation' bit.

All the pages I can find say to try thing such as disabling both iMessages and FaceTime, reset network settings, log out of iCloud and various combinations of those. I even found one post that suggested using the redsn0w app to 'deactivate' the iPhone and then it would fix it once activated again.

Anyway, I've tried every combination I can think of from the above solutions, and still nothing.

iMessage work fine on her iPad still, and if someone sends an iMessage to her mobile number it goes through to her iPad—not so helpful if she's out and then doesn't get the message until 8hrs later.

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out guys, does anyone have the 'magic bullet'?

leon
21st November 2013, 09:43 AM
I find that I have to activate the use Apple ID option. Then send an iMessage to the Apple ID. This then seems to kick the mobile number in the ass and it suddenly gets activated.

Had to do this on my iPhone 4, my mums, wife's and colleague at work.

baobab68
21st November 2013, 09:49 AM
What provider? I'm on Aldi and you have to have some "real" credit in your account, not just "bolt-on" credit.

I only had 5c in my account and was relying on bonus bolt-on credit and I couldn't activate iMessage. Added some credit and it worked first time.

mallo
21st November 2013, 01:09 PM
What provider? I'm on Aldi and you have to have some "real" credit in your account, not just "bolt-on" credit.

I only had 5c in my account and was relying on bonus bolt-on credit and I couldn't activate iMessage. Added some credit and it worked first time.

Thanks Mate! She's with Aldi, and I'm guessing this will be the problem. When she gets off work will get her to check that, but considering she calls home (the USA) a little I'm willing to bet she's used up her credit except for the bolt on.

baobab68
21st November 2013, 02:54 PM
No worries. Aldi support were useless on the issue. It was only when I read somebody's random comment on Whirlpool that I twigged to it.

mallo
21st November 2013, 03:18 PM
No worries. Aldi support were useless on the issue. It was only when I read somebody's random comment on Whirlpool that I twigged to it.

Can confirm that adding extra credit fixed it straight away, so again, thanks so much mate, have spent the last couple weeks pulling my hair out trying everything over and over.

If anyone else is reading this and is with aldi, that's your fix.

alcurtis
6th June 2014, 05:39 PM
Hi All,

Just spoke to ALDI and they confirmed that you need at least $0.25 to activate. Apparently our iPhone sends an international text to apple to complete the process. I had $0.20 in mine and it was getting hung for days.

Thanks to all who have helped in this

Cheers,

Al

Can confirm that adding extra credit fixed it straight away, so again, thanks so much mate, have spent the last couple weeks pulling my hair out trying everything over and over.

If anyone else is reading this and is with aldi, that's your fix.