PDA

View Full Version : IMovie keeps killing my MBP! Anyone else have an experience of this?

DebB
13th November 2013, 04:48 PM
I have had a MBP since 2008 or so. I like to edit video and play the sims.... However... My first machine had 3 logic board failures and was finally replaced by apple in 2010. I now have another logic board failure in the 2010 machine. The common denominator seems to be iMovie. The graphics card seems to overheat and fail when processing videos. I have used the current versions of osX and iMovie every time. I am wondering how many people have had iMovie kill their logic board, or whether I am just plain unlucky?

Should I be looking at an iMac to produce my HD slide shows and videos, or should the MBP be up to it? My apple care runs out in a month, so I don't want this to keep happening!

nibbles
13th November 2013, 07:01 PM
A MacBook Pro should be up to editing HD video in Final Cut, iMovie shouldn't phase it the slightest. It's definitely a strange situation, when you say processing videos do you mean editing them or exporting/ encoding them? It shouldn't be too graphically intensive either way.

DebB
14th November 2013, 03:58 AM
I killed it this time making a 40 min photo slide show. It plays up while I am editing the video mainly. It is in getting fixed now.

Byrd
14th November 2013, 09:14 AM
Needless to say, your MBP should be able to handle anything you throw at it without hardware failure. You should be able to run any game/app/utility under stress for days on end without the machine crashing - it's designed for this. When you get your MBP back, I'd subject it to a stress test yourself to ensure this replacement won't fail - for example, export your slide show, play a movie, run a game, etc. all at the same time!

DebB
15th November 2013, 06:39 PM
Yes, I fully intend to. The only explanation the "genius" could offer, when I asked if my usage patterns could be to blame for continuing failures is that my 2010 MBP is getting too old to manage full HD as well as the new versions of OSX and iMovie. Hmmmm. He was very keen to sell me a new one.... little does he know that I still have my Mac SE, and use it.... I consider this MBP to be cutting edge!! LOL

Oldmacs
15th November 2013, 07:10 PM
Your Macbook Pro should be able to handle that FINE! If its the Core i5 from your signature, than there is no excuse for it not handling that stuff fine. Our iMac 2009 C2D handles iMovie and Final Cut Pro X fine.

Apple just loves to try and flog you a new machine. Each time I went in with my 2008 Macbook White they suggested I upgrade it.

Devil
16th November 2013, 06:44 AM
I'd start being suspicious of the power supply/charger for the computer, or even the power sockets in your house in case it is surge related.

That's just a guess based on meeting many people over the years who claimed to be 'unlucky with technology' because lots of the electrical stuff in their house would die randomly. Microwaves, TVs, computers etc. It's very hard to diagnose because it is not consistent.

Its a little bit extreme, but sometimes buying a new charger and an Uniterruptible Power Supply (UPS) can help

DebB
16th November 2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks Devil, that is a great suggestion! I do have it plugged in to a standard old power board so perhaps that could be a culprit. We do also regularly have small electrical casualties around the house.... worth a try.

By the way, the new logic board is powering away beautifully so far, transcoding gobs of HD video while I type this. Fingers crossed!