PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks Apps fail to launch

yerg
12th November 2013, 09:37 PM
Installed Mavericks all worked fine but now Calendar and Contacts fail to launch.

Click on icon, screen blinks briefly and nothing.

Is it just me? :cry:

MrJesseRoss
13th November 2013, 06:29 AM
Yes.

bennyling
13th November 2013, 08:19 AM
What do you mean by "screen blinks briefly"?

dracomjb
13th November 2013, 02:04 PM
have you rebooted? Checked to see if there are any stuck keys on the keyboard?

yerg
13th November 2013, 03:02 PM
@bennyling "screen blinks briefly" was the best description I could think of at the time. The dock does it's thing as it does with any app you launch,. Call it blink or whatever you like open an app and see visually what happens to the doc as well as the top of the screen when the app launches. Having done the default process ... nothing launches. Activity monitor shows nothing happened either.

@dracomjb my MPBP has been restarted a number of times and nothing different.

No stuck keys or anything like that.

I've launched every app installed when I upgraded, only 2 don't work ... Calendar and Contacts.

dracomjb
13th November 2013, 03:18 PM
Is it only when launching from the dock?

yerg
13th November 2013, 03:21 PM
Try Applications tab and direct from finder ... no change :sick:

This has me totally miffed.

Steve_D
13th November 2013, 03:24 PM
I have noticed that sometimes Mavericks will open apps in a non primary desktop if you have multiple desktops, even more so if you also have multiple screens. Have a look in Mission Control and see if its not opening up there.

Other than that not sure what it could be.

yerg
13th November 2013, 03:34 PM
Wow .. thanks Steve
Used to have multiple desktops ... may have reverted
I'll dig in when I get home this evening

yerg
13th November 2013, 08:05 PM
Nope not that ... grrrrr

Just checking the log files

Contacts[1669]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting
Calendar[457]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

An example of what has been generated and viewed in the Console.

yerg
14th November 2013, 06:55 AM
Time for a retreat

Now iBooks and Maps are disfunctional.

Now time to remove all unique content
Hit the Time Machine and wait for some time until all this buggy time wasting stuff has been resolved for/by others.

gehenna
14th November 2013, 09:33 AM
I'd do a fresh install of Mavericks. Preferably a clean install over a restore.

yerg
14th November 2013, 07:03 PM
Maps and iBooks ended up going the same way!
Time Machine refused to see the MBP as the same computer and wanted to do a different backup.

A few on/off of both the MBP and Time Machine finally we got a backup done.

Reinstall ... got stuck half way through.
Started again and finally happened.
Just for good measure I did the reinstall twice

So finally all appears ok :)

yerg
24th December 2013, 08:17 AM
Something verrrrry seriously weird
I've just reinstalled Mavericks for the THIRD time !!!
Glad I didn't install it on all our family iMac's and MacBooks
Some serious work needs to be done by someone

Oldmacs
24th December 2013, 08:23 AM
I'm glad it's not just me. Apple needs to do a lot of work :/

soulman
24th December 2013, 08:47 AM
The only time I've ever had problems of this nature, I've had faulty hardware. Have you checked your disk? Run MemTest? Do you have utilities like TechTool or similar?

Thingme
24th December 2013, 10:14 AM
Yeah and this next'll be MY 3rd Mavericks reinstall, my second "clean" install. Even with the point update 9.1, on the iMac, Mavericks is unstable. Can't point me finger at any one instance but that one freeze that needed to be escaped with the power button, Safari craziness, apps that do unexpected behaviours. It's a lot of one-off non-repeating minor annoyances that add up to a whole big unstable Mac OS.

Disk Utility's Disk Verify and Disk Repair never finish their reports, neither. Also, even though 9.1 is said to have fixed Mail.app, I have an annoying niggle with it.

It's this: Type a letter in the To: field and you get the usual drop down menu of possibles. I can't click an entry in the dropdown list. The only way to get the addressee I want is to further spell out the name in the To: field. That right there is a huge pain in the bum and makes the list of possible addressees with that particular initial absolutely redundant.

Top specced late 2013 27" iMac/ 16GBram and 1TB Flashdrive storage.

Steve_D
24th December 2013, 11:05 AM
Disk Utility's Disk Verify and Disk Repair never finish their reports, neither. Also, even though 9.1 is said to have fixed Mail.app, I have an annoying niggle with it.

Sounds more to me that your SSD is playing up and causing errors. Take the machine to an apple store and have them have a look at it. Being that the machine is one of the newer iMacs its not like you can just open the machine up and swap it out to test.

If you have a USB HD try hooking that up to your machine and installing 10.9 directly to there bypassing your SSD altogether, it wont be blazingly fast but it will give you an idea of whether the HD is at fault or your copy of 10.9 is corrupted somehow.

Have you made a clean USB key boot disk?
How to create a bootable USB to install OS X Mavericks - TechRepublic (http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/apple-in-the-enterprise/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-to-install-os-x-mavericks/)

But i'm still leaning on the side of its your SSD at fault, does system properties show TRIM enabled?

Thingme
24th December 2013, 11:56 AM
Steve,

Nope, won't be taking the Mac to any Apple Store. We are many many hundreds of kilometres from such aid. That's an absolute last resort. Got to make do until all other checks are completed. I hope you're wrong about SSD failure.

Am just preparing a blank USB3 external HDD to have OS X 10.9.1 installed from a thumbdrive I created yesterday.

I used the method which does not require Disk Utility or thumbing through package contents.

It's at How to make your own bootable OS X 10.9 Mavericks USB install drive | Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/how-to-make-your-own-bootable-os-x-10-9-mavericks-usb-install-drive/).

This one uses the "createinstallmedia" function and is simple and quick. Try it, it's good. And blinding fast.

The SSD's TRIM has a yes against it.

Am waiting for someone to tell me how to buy TechTool Pro7. There does not seem to be a website that will sell me this application online in this country. Currently in correspondence with support@techtools.com.au which is the local source supported by Micromat. No website just an email. How weird is that?

Oldmacs
24th December 2013, 12:18 PM
I'm onto my 4th reinstall. I might have to go back to Mountain Lion. I'm sick of my Mac randomly going to sleep.

Thingme
24th December 2013, 01:54 PM
Steve. Not sure I have a problem with the SSD. With Disk Utility running from the USB3 HD with Mavericks 9.1 installed, the Repair Disk check of the SSD ran just fine with an OK result. Normally I don't accept this utility as the definitive authority on storage health but this was a better result than before when I ran Disk Utility from the System Restore partition. Am beginning to suspect the System Restore Partition on the SSD is not all it's cracked up to be, as well as the Mavericks install itself.

Of course, I will have to use TechTool Pro for a definitive check on the SSD's health. I don't have TTP yet. The other check I CAN do is the secure erase of the SSD which is supposed to locate iffy sections on the drive and map them out. With my plan to reinstall Mavericks on the SSD, that erasure will be an essential first step.

I don't plan on mucking around any longer. I'll just grab everything I want from the SSD and format it. There is one app, I am pretty certain is doing damage to my storage. It's called Firestorm 4.5.1 (beta), a browser/client used in the virtual world, Second Life. Firestorm is not all that stable but is the only one, the only version, that works properly with Mavericks. I guess that sucks, but us Mavericks users are stuck with it.

yerg
29th December 2013, 08:19 AM
Another reinstall, as App Store won't launch :cry:

Having done that I've upgraded to 10.9.1

Wow ... speed is noticeably improved.
ALL apps are functional ... here's hoping the the .1 achieves something ;)

GeoffP
29th December 2013, 10:39 AM
Wish I had not upgraded to Mavericks - am getting beach balling at an ever increasing rate - seems to be mostly when accessing network connection (LAN or Internet) - maybe an issue with the drivers - don't know, but it is a problem as I use my MBP for home & work.

yerg
29th December 2013, 10:53 AM
GeoffP have you updated to 10.9.1?

Been using 10.9.1 for about 8 hours straight since I upgraded and no issues ... as yet

Oh missed saying I did a Verify/Repair Disc Permissions before and after the upgrade.
That may have also helped. Heaps of permissions were at fault.

paronga
29th December 2013, 11:02 AM
It sounds like you've got a hardware issue.
Permissions don't just go faulty....

GeoffP
29th December 2013, 11:14 AM
It sounds like you've got a hardware issue.
Permissions don't just go faulty....
Don't think so - problems started immediately after upgrading to Mavericks - NO issues prior to this...

GeoffP have you updated to 10.9.1?

Been using 10.9.1 for about 8 hours straight since I upgraded and no issues ... as yet

Oh missed saying I did a Verify/Repair Disc Permissions before and after the upgrade.
That may have also helped. Heaps of permissions were at fault.

Yep, 10.9.1 - was hoping this would rectify the problem but no - if you google the increasing beach ball problem it is all over the place.

I did a verify/repair as well - when run a second and third time it still lists the same problems so dunno

yerg
29th December 2013, 11:22 AM
paronga ... interestingly the permission issues ONLY commenced after Mavericks install.

This version is the first I've ever had issues with.
In the rush to "appear" at the cutting edge I suspect things were pushed through "hoping" no one would notice. :sick:

Hoping this .1 will resolve the issues I'm experiencing

yerg
6th March 2014, 03:33 PM
Seem to remember this thread and returned for another update.

I figured 10.9.2 would be ok to install on my iMac.
FAIL
What a fool was I DOH!!

Have exactly the same issue as I had on the Pro.
Apps not working

Disk issues ... none having run the Disk Utilities
Did a reformat and a clean install.
NO resolution.
Spoke to Apple Guru and was told the only resolution was a clean install
Informed him of my process and he said a new HDD will resolve the issue
WTH!
I said would he guarantee this and if not replace the HDD with one guaranteed to work.
Ha ... not likely

18 month old computer and the Disk Utility says it's fine.
Just throw away the 1Tb drive and get another :ambivalent: