PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5s On/Off button rattle

tombull
12th November 2013, 07:26 AM
As found by some users of the iPhone 5, I have noticed that my iPhone 5s On/Off button rattles when the device is moved. When I hold my finger over the On/Off button, the rattle stops. I haven't noticed if the rattle is audible during voice calls, however I can hear it in quieter sections of video recording's.

This seems to be a fairly widespread occurrence - I'm surprised that there isn't already a thread for this topic here.

Are any other iPhone 5s owners experiencing this? Is it any cause for concern?

LevMac
12th November 2013, 09:32 AM
Hey mate,

Yes, there is the normal rattle which is very slight as its the camera auto-focus which is normal.
However, the rattle im getting is the power on/off button, and yes like you said its very noticeable when recording video and if you were to accidently shake the phone or if your running or recording in the car where the phone moves slightly, you notice the rattle noise recorded in the video itself!

I tried holding the power on/off button and recording video, and there is no problems at all

Mines going back

tombull
12th November 2013, 09:53 AM
Hey, Thanks for your reply - so you're returning your iPhone 5s because of the On/Off rattle, or do you have other concerns about the phone?

LevMac
12th November 2013, 10:20 AM
Hey, Thanks for your reply - so you're returning your iPhone 5s because of the On/Off rattle, or do you have other concerns about the phone?

Yes mate, returning it because of the loose power button, if it didn't affect the video recording id live with it, but my iPhone 5 doesn't have this rattle in videos so why should a better phone like the iPhone 5S have this issue?

tombull
12th November 2013, 10:31 AM
Agreed! I'm thinking about returning mine as well.

nibbles
12th November 2013, 01:14 PM
What are you recording that it's quiet enough to hear the home button rattle?

LevMac
12th November 2013, 01:40 PM
What are you recording that it's quiet enough to hear the home button rattle?

First of all, its not the home button, its the on/off button.

As for what im recording? Certainly not a rock concert

Just general recording, around the garden, at a park, in the car as a video camera etc

nibbles
12th November 2013, 06:15 PM
My bad, lock button is what I was referring to but I just wrote home button by mistake. My lock button rattles a little but I can't see it being loud enough to become a problem. I'm intrigued, would you mind uploading a short video?

LevMac
12th November 2013, 06:33 PM
My bad, lock button is what I was referring to but I just wrote home button by mistake. My lock button rattles a little but I can't see it being loud enough to become a problem. I'm intrigued, would you mind uploading a short video?

This isn't my video, but heres one on YouTube demonstrating the exact same problem....

Iphone 5s rattle in the power button. Verizon says its on all 5s phone and normal. I say not normal. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04PfhST-fzw)

LevMac
15th November 2013, 05:55 PM
How is everyone else's power on/off button?

changa
15th November 2013, 07:24 PM
My power button rattles as well. I was going to get it swapped out but everyone power button on the iPhone 5s in the George Street store and the Bondi Junction stores rattled.

Apple sent me a replacement iPhone (when I was changing due to the accelerometer/compass issue) and it also rattled as well.

In the end I gave up. Everyone who I know who has an iPhone 5s has the power button rattle. Perhaps it is only an issue with us early adopters and maybe the newer ones are fine.

tombull
16th November 2013, 08:02 AM
It seems to be a fairly widespread issue, though the people on the phone at Apple acted as if it was the very first time that such a thing had happened... In the end, I decided to request a refund (I was within my 14 days...). My 5s has too many other little issues (poor mic, touchy Touch ID, poor battery...). I'm going stick with my trusty 4 and wait for the 6! :)

LevMac
17th November 2013, 05:29 PM
It seems to be a fairly widespread issue, though the people on the phone at Apple acted as if it was the very first time that such a thing had happened... In the end, I decided to request a refund (I was within my 14 days...). My 5s has too many other little issues (poor mic, touchy Touch ID, poor battery...). I'm going stick with my trusty 4 and wait for the 6! :)

Thinking about doing the same thing mate

rss123
17th November 2013, 07:16 PM
They all have this issue. Even some 4S and most 5.