PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted: OS X screen sharing

simonm
5th November 2013, 09:14 PM
I'd like to configure my Mac to access the screen externally using OS X's built-in Screen Sharing capabilities (or more specifically, allow someone else to access my Mac).

I have no problem accessing the screen from a local network, but this is pretty much redundant since I can just as easily see and use the computer myself!

At this point, basically every internet resource I've found on the matter is a minefield and way over my head. Most only go so far as to explain and demonstrate VNC working on a LAN, which is not the issue. I don't see why Apple doesn't make it easier or at least provide more guidance. You used to be able to do it (and still can?) easily with the AIM platform in iChat (still a part of Messages) but few of my friends bother with AIM any more since Apple introduced iMessage.

The best I can gather is that it has something to do with configuring my Airport Express and setting up Port Forwarding (whatever the hell that is). I realise that I need to send the person my external IP address, but beyond this I'm at a loss. Network stuff has always been my weakness. I've also read that VNC is not that secure and isn't encrypted by default (though some applications may use secure VNC). Is this something I should be worried about?

Or should I just give up and tell whomever needs it to just get/log in to AIM?

samuelowens
5th November 2013, 10:12 PM
I think you may need something like: https://secure.logmein.com/

I may be wrong though...

Alec Fraser
6th November 2013, 10:22 AM
You'd be better off looking at something like TeamViewer rather than VNC: TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings (http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx)

nibbles
6th November 2013, 10:41 AM
+1 for TeamViewer unless you know what you're doing with the other options (in which case you wouldn't need to ask).

bennyling
6th November 2013, 05:03 PM
While you can use VNC over the internet it's insecure compared to something like LogMeIn or TeamViewer. Use those instead :)

simonm
6th November 2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll check out those options listed and definitely fold on external VNC.

Messages (AIM) is still the easiest for me since anyone with an Apple ID already has an AIM account so I'll just force the point upon those that require it.

I kind of miss the various filters you used to get with video chat on AIM. Apple used to make a big deal showing those off in the keynotes because they were so much fun.