PDA

View Full Version : Linked Artile: iPhone touch screens inaccurate compared to Samsung - I agree

leon
30th October 2013, 08:10 AM
Did anyone see this article this morning depicting the inaccuracy of the iPhone's screens?
Finnish technology company OptoFidelity reveals why your iPhone touchscreen is so inaccurate | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/finnish-technology-company-optofidelity-reveals-why-your-iphone-touchscreen-is-so-inaccurate/story-fn6vihic-1226749368956)

My original iPhone 2G was fantastic and never seemed to give me spelling mistakes or missed letters. My iPhone4 though from day 1 was terrible. Often inserting a space bar instead of a letter when using something on the lower row. I thought it was me, but my fingers haven't changed between my original iPhone and the iPhone4.

Anyone else have similar/same issues?

Looks like an area that Apple is lagging Samsung in.

Goodbye
30th October 2013, 08:15 AM
I haven't noticed that level of inaccuracy that is portrayed in the article, but I can say that every other touchscreen just seems slightly laggier than any iOS device.

nibbles
30th October 2013, 08:39 AM
Can't say I've ever noticed it like that. In fact I tend to touch vaguely near the key I want and for the most part autocorrect does a fine job at picking up the mistakes, something I'm yet to see come even close on a samsung.

Alec Fraser
30th October 2013, 08:45 AM
Smells like typical news.com.au click bait to me.

bennyling
30th October 2013, 10:50 AM
I've found iOS device touchscreen accuracy to be very good, personally.

gehenna
30th October 2013, 11:50 AM
Wasn't there a study of some kind done recently that showed iDevice touch screens were in fact more accurate and responsive than competitors?

teamshaw
30th October 2013, 12:31 PM
iPhone Touchscreen Accuracy – A lesson in understanding test requirements and goals | Neglected Potential (http://www.neglectedpotential.com/2013/10/iphone-touchscreen-accuracy/)

I think this interpretation is quite valid. Basically, for the robot used in the tests the iPhone seems innaccurate as the screen is optimised for human use. Potentially making it even more accurate in normal use.

nibbles
30th October 2013, 06:27 PM
Wasn't there a study of some kind done recently that showed iDevice touch screens were in fact more accurate and responsive than competitors?

Don't know about accurate but definitely responsiveness.