PDA

View Full Version : Best digi camera ~ $300

Byrd
7th September 2004, 09:26 AM
Hi,

my girlfriend's parents are looking at buying a low-end digital camera around $300 (not including flash memory card, which they know they'll have to spend another $100-odd for). There are quite a few in this price range which feature 3.2MP, 3x optical zoom, and an LCD screen of sorts. Image quality may be questionable, and it has to be easy to use.

Can anyone recommend one - I'm looking at so far:

- CANON POWERSHOT A310
- KODAK CX 7300
- OLYMPUS C- 310

Thanks

JB

decryption
7th September 2004, 10:48 AM
They're all pretty good point and shoot cameras, I'd recommend the Canon as it would probably have superior optics to the other two, however, in this price range, the difference is negligble, so just get the lowest priced of the bunch you listed and you'll be fine :)

For memory card prices, check out good ol' MSY, www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Byrd
8th September 2004, 08:58 AM
Thanks, looks like the Canon A400 is the go now, $299 with 3.2MP, 2.2x optical ... probably the best one in that price range.

JB

estoyloco
8th September 2004, 09:17 AM
I usually wouldnt recommend Pentax, but they have a camera called the OPTIO S40 and for a limited time they have it on sale with a 128MB card for somewhere between $400 - $450.. different places have different specials.. i can loook around my history cos i remember seing it a few days ago and was suprised!

its 4MP
Big screen so if your GF parents are ageing their old eyes can see the images better
3x optical (optical is the most important forget digital)
runs on rechargable nimh batteries not your AA type..

Canon is by far the best in terms of P&S for ocmpactness and image quality

You could consider an IXUS IIs its tiny and retails at $400 these days!

I have a mate (concidently) that is selling an IXUS IIs + 256MB card + Case (but is 3months old i think) - for $400 - but its second hand soo?????

He is in melbourne!

Anyways.. let me know if you want me to dig up where i found the prices and i will let you know ASAP!

estoyloco
8th September 2004, 09:23 AM
Sorry to double post but if your in melbourne (or $10 extra anywhere in AUSTRALIA)

you can get the A400 for $253 - with australian warranty from a physical shop or their online shop. australian warranty, ABN, Valid Tax invoice etc.. (you need to watch online shops these days!)

Let me know and i will give you the link

They arent related to me (Usual Disclaimer! - just cos i know good prices)

mbd
8th September 2004, 11:05 AM
Which shop in Melbourne is it?

Byrd
9th September 2004, 01:35 PM
estoyloco, if you could let me know of the place selling the Canon A400 for $253, that'd be great. My GF's parents probably don't want to spend much more, and would want a new camera, not used for warranty.

JB

estoyloco
9th September 2004, 04:02 PM
Hey Byrd.. i sent a PM with the company details.. im sure you would have heard of them.. they have stores all over so there should be one near you... otherwise the postage is cheap....

Hope they like it

Byrd
9th September 2004, 04:17 PM
Thanx estoyloco, they're just across the road from where I work!

It's Centrecom - no probs saying that, are there?

JB

decryption
9th September 2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by bYrd@Sep 9 2004, 04:17 PM
It's Centrecom - no probs saying that, are there?
Nope, this isn't OCAU ;)