PDA

View Full Version : No system disks anymore

aussieglyn
23rd October 2013, 02:08 PM
I'm a bit behind the times being 63 and so is my iMac. When I purchased it, it came with Snow Leopard system disks which I have needed to use to restart with, to access disk repair etc. on a number of occasions. With systems (Mavericks) now being downloaded, with no physical disks, how does a person start up from a non existent disk, or drive for that matter, with the newest iMacs if you are having disk troubles?

ajbeardy
23rd October 2013, 02:11 PM
This gives you a good run through: OS X Recovery

Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks. (http://www.apple.com/au/osx/recovery/)

The_Hawk
23rd October 2013, 02:22 PM
When you download it (and before you let it install) you can save off the "Install OS X Mavericks" file (which is in your applications folder).

If you right click on that file and hit "Show Package Contents" you can see what's inside that file.

Head into this folder: Contents > SharedSupport >

Where you will find the "InstallESD.dmg" file (which is the installer itself). You can burn image file to a DVD if you like (although you will need a Double layer disc since it's over 4.7GB). You could also make a USB install stick with a 8GB USB drive (or SD Card).

There are plenty of walkthroughs for Mountain Lion which still be fine to follow:
How to create a bootable, backup Mountain Lion install disk | Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-lion-install-disk/)

There are also apps for the older versions too like this one:
Lion DiskMaker (http://liondiskmaker.com/)

EDIT: It seems the BETA of LDM doesn't want to work for me at all.
EDIT2: Reformatting my SD Card and partitioning it to 8GB partitions (it's 32GB) has got it working.

aussieglyn
23rd October 2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks for clearing it up for me.
Wow, things have really changed. I've been loathe to update from Snow Leopard because of no physical disks. My iMac only has 2GB RAM but apparently Mavericks uses RAM much more effectively so maybe I'll give it a go, especially as I know 'recovery' is there.

cosmichobo
23rd October 2013, 03:16 PM
Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of no-disk systems, having come through the ranks and so often needing to dig them out in the past...

purana
30th October 2013, 07:18 PM
Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of no-disk systems, having come through the ranks and so often needing to dig them out in the past...

I like having media too.. must the old skool in me.

LCGuy
30th October 2013, 10:08 PM
Personally I've never been a fan of Apple's Internet recovery, or the inability to get OS X on physical media.

While it sounds fantastic and all, the first thing that came to my mind when I read about it, being a former country boy who had dialup at home for 11 years (it was all I could get), was how its going to affect people who have limited, or no Internet access. Sure, I have a decent ADSL connection with a good allowance now, but there's still a ton of people out there with pre-paid 3G, dialup, etc (or NO internet connection) who just can't do Internet recovery.

leon
31st October 2013, 08:57 AM
Personally I've never been a fan of Apple's Internet recovery, or the inability to get OS X on physical media.

While it sounds fantastic and all, the first thing that came to my mind when I read about it, being a former country boy who had dialup at home for 11 years (it was all I could get), was how its going to affect people who have limited, or no Internet access. Sure, I have a decent ADSL connection with a good allowance now, but there's still a ton of people out there with pre-paid 3G, dialup, etc (or NO internet connection) who just can't do Internet recovery.

This is me. We are too far from the exchange for ADSL or even dial up. We rely solely on our mobile phones with a Telstra connection (through Boost pre-paid) for our internet. Can't get Optus or Vodaphone coverage where we are either. It isn't like I'm completely in the middle of nowhere either - I'm in the Dandenong Ranges in Victoria.
I had to lug my 24" iMac into work to update it. It wasn't so bad when you could download the updaters from the Apple Support site. But now with all the updates linked to the Mac App Store, you can't just download them easily anymore. Huge PITA.

DeKa
31st October 2013, 05:43 PM
I must be old fashioned too. I always create a USB key for each new downloaded OS. That way, if I ever need to re-image my machine, I have it in the drawer.

cosmichobo
31st October 2013, 05:45 PM
Still waiting for someone to come along and say - Oh no, you've got it all wrong! Apple knows best!

:)

CrypticSquared
31st October 2013, 05:48 PM
Apple is under the illusion that every single person has access to fast and unlimited internets...

EDIT: I also go and buy a new USB Drive each time a major OS is released just in case.

cosmichobo
31st October 2013, 07:00 PM
If only Labour were still in power/Liberals would listen to the petitions and scrap fibre to node...