PDA

View Full Version : Every 2 years is the right upgrade interval for me (iPhone)

icant
21st October 2013, 10:50 AM
I've gone from 3GS to 4S to 5s.

5s is a solid upgrade. The multitasking works so much better. On the 4S/iOS7, I can switch back to a recent app, and the screen pauses for a second while the app restarts (sometimes). What a relief on the 5s: this is how app-switching is meant to be. Screen, Touch ID, form factor, weight—all good.

The 4S was also a solid upgrade from a 3GS (stupid crippling iOS update). 4S is still a good phone IMO.

How I manage it: essentially by having a spouse. One year, she renews a contract, and gets a new phone. The following year, I renew a contract, and get a new phone. So every year, a new toy arrives, but each of us still have different phones. I far prefer this to both of us having an identical Apple product, essentially because both get obsolete at the same time.

So yea: 5s. Is good.

So little downtime as well. (Get iWorks/iLife first) Transfer Purchases, Backup. Restore. Or Restore from iCloud, enter passwords, and go to bed. Good stuff.

Oh, if you haven't watched Gravity in the cinema, watch it.

Oldmacs
21st October 2013, 12:35 PM
hahahaha lol…. I'll be on the iPhone 4 till at least the iPhone 6 or 6S :P

I'd still be on my 3GS if the battery didn't go, as the 3GS is still a great phone :D

LCGuy
21st October 2013, 04:28 PM
Still rockin' the 3GS here. I'll get the iPhone 6 next year. :)

Daviddc
21st October 2013, 10:26 PM
I was happily using my 3GS till New Year, only "wish it had" would be a flash for the camera,
but then it must have fallen out of pocket or similar one night in outback NSW.
Have to have a phone for work so signed up for a new 5, then 2 weeks the Vic police ring me to say my 3GS was handed in to them.
So now I have both, one for work 3GS & the new one for personal use.
Won't need a new phone for a long time :)

PS still using the original iPad

Oldmacs
21st October 2013, 11:38 PM
My only 3GS wishes are that it had are better camera, iOS 7, Retina display and Led for torch (I don't use the iPhone with a flash at night, although at the time Retina display didn't matter as I had gotten used to the 3GS after the iPod touch 4 and I only realised the utility of the flash when I got the 4. I use it a lot.

wolfie
22nd October 2013, 07:00 AM
Got a 4, was planning on a 5 but it didnt wow me enough, 5S hasnt wowed me enough so ill be using the 4 till the 6.

Of course surviving this long on a slow phone is tolerable in part to having a ipad, which off loads many tasks i would have used on the iphone otherwise.

live_illusion
22nd October 2013, 08:10 PM
I had a forced upgrade to the 5 from the 4S, but I agree with the OP.. Every second release was good for me too. I actually went from a 3G to a 4S.. Would have held out for the 6(s) but yeah, forced upgrade to iPhone5...

Oldmacs
22nd October 2013, 08:42 PM
For me its use the phone till it dies/ can't run apps/ fit my stuff :P