PDA

View Full Version : 2011 13" MacBook Pro not up to scratch anymore

nibbles
9th October 2013, 02:14 PM
I do quite a lot of video importing, editing and encoding primarily on a late 2011 13" MacBook Pro but recently I've noticed a big flaw with it it's painfully slow. Slower than it used to be.

To 'measure' how slow it was I took the same piece of footage (2hrs long) and encoded it with the latest version of handbrake on the exact same settings on both my iMac and the MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro averaged 30fps whilst the iMac was reaching an average of 75fps. I should add at this point that both have 4GB of RAM, the processor in the iMac is a 3.06GHz C2D where as the one in the MacBook Pro is a 2.4GHz i5.

In theory the MacBook Pro should be running at around the same, if not higher speeds due to the efficiency of the i5 processor over the C2D, but it's not. In the interests of fairness I borrowed another MacBook Pro of similar specs (2.3GHz i5, early 2011) just to properly compare. Low and behold it's running at 80fps whilst the other MacBook Pro is running at 27fps.

I should also add at this point that the fans on the borrowed MacBook Pro spin up fairly quickly after starting the encode where as my MacBook Pro they don't get noticeably louder at all.

I am stumped by this, The only thing I can think of is that it's in some weird safety mode. Any ideas MacTalk?

samuelowens
9th October 2013, 03:00 PM
Does the program in question rely on GPU power? If so, the iMac and the other MBP (if it's a 15") will have a dGPU.

Also, have you tried a fresh reinstall? You may have a corrupted plist file...

nibbles
9th October 2013, 03:09 PM
Handbrake relies significantly more on CPU power than a GPU and in any case it has the largest GPU out of the 3 (384MB compared to the 256MB of the others).

I've got 3 OSs running on it, each behaved the same.

However, in the midst of it all I remembered my good old friend the SMC reset. Did that and it's currently powering along at 115fps. :)

paronga
16th October 2013, 08:40 PM
nice work!

also, just FYI, memory of a graphics card is about the worst measurement of power possible. Yes the top of the line bleeding edge GFX cards will have ooodles of memory, but correlation does not equal causation!!

an integrated GPU will generally be slower than a dedicated one because of it's architecture. Just like you mentioned, your i5 is faster than the C2D even though the C2D has a higher clock speed!