PDA

View Full Version : Cheap way for friend to text me in India

Goodbye
7th October 2013, 09:54 AM
I am off to India for three weeks next month, and I am wondering if there is a way for my best friend to be able to text me cheaply from Australia while I am there? I thought Skype would allow me to set up a number that she can text me to so she's not paying an exorbitant amount for an international text, however you can only send texts through Skype, not receive.

I am going to get an Indian SIM for my 5S when I arrive, but is there an easy way to set up a number that will forward to my Indian number? She only has a cheap phone, not an iPhone, otherwise iMessage would have been ideal.

Thanks!

julee86
7th October 2013, 10:51 AM
Is getting another SIM an option for her? I know Amaysim charges 25c per SMS (international) and calls are 6c/minute! Also if she signs up under my referral, she gets an extra $10 :-D

Cheapest way would be get an old smartphone ($30) and put a SIM in it ^above, and download WhatsApp. $10 for unlimited WhatsApp messages. I have an old BlackBerry that she can use if she's in Melbourne, not sure if WhatsApp works on data itself.. Need to check. Might need BIS.

Goodbye
7th October 2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Ideally I would just like to pay for an Aussie number that would forward on any SMSs to my Indian number, so that she isn't spending too much to get texts out to me. To call her I can just use Skype so that's not an issue - it's just that we text a lot and it will quickly add up if she's paying 50c/text.
I'd rather just pay for a service than a whole new phone and get her to cart that around.

julee86
7th October 2013, 01:39 PM
Not sure if google voice is able to do that - Google Voice SMS (http://www.google.com.au/mobile/sms/voice/)

Goodbye
7th October 2013, 03:03 PM
Not available in Australia :-(

julee86
7th October 2013, 03:05 PM
I think your best bet would be forwarding SMS to email - but your SIM must be in the phone to work (bummer if you only have 1 phone?). I know android is able to do that, but that means giving the app full access to your sms/contacts/etc :(

Goodbye
7th October 2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah the whole thing is a bit of a pain! I might just buy her a $50 credit voucher before I go.

Byrd
7th October 2013, 08:14 PM
... or gift her an iPhone 3GS, running iMessage? You could text to your heart's content that way.