PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro OWC data doubler….

Oldmacs
5th October 2013, 10:43 PM
Ok, Well I'm sick of my Mid 2012 13 Inch Macbook (Classic) being sluggish and I'm interested upgrading it (Again at the end of the year) At the moment it has 8 GB of Ram (I upgraded it to that earlier this year) along with the upgraded 7200 RPM 750 GB HD. I would love to get an SSD but I need the space of my HD, so I was looking at the OWC Data doubler, i would get a 128 GB OWC SSD and but the 750 GB HD in the disk drive bay. (I would sadly have to give up having an internal Optical drive :'( )

However it struck me the other day that this may void my warranty…. I have Apple Care extended warranty as well, so would installing the Data doubler void it?

ianpgonzaga
6th October 2013, 06:07 AM
i'm sure it does void it but the speed increase is AH-MAY-ZING!

glacierdave
6th October 2013, 06:37 AM
A few years back, the laws surrounding warranty and related issues were changed. The bottom line being that it's currently slanted very much in favour of the customer.

A totally void warranty in this day and age is pretty rare.

More typically, if something were to go wrong with your laptop Apple (or one of it's repairers) will most likely not cover warranty on the parts you've changed out yourself but if the fault isn't related to those parts you'd still have warranty.

If you're concerned, just hold onto the parts you swap out and put them back if things go wrong. The chance of you having warranty issues in such a case would then be minimal.

Disclaimer:

If you're not particularly technical there's still plenty that can be screwed up inside your Mac. If you do the damage yourself, don't expect Apple to fix it under warranty.

Although, such damage would have to be clearly caused by you. Otherwise it's likely that you'd be given the benefit of the doubt and have the repair covered anyway.

David

Oldmacs
7th October 2013, 07:21 PM
I'm very undecided. I've upgraded the HD and ram on this Mac, and done so many other Mac fixes/upgraded/takeaparts including the iBook G4 HD replacement *Shudder*….. so I shouldn't stuff it up. However this Macbook has been unpredictable. If something was to go wrong I would really want the warranty to be recognised + The Genius bar hates me ;)

The speed increase is so damn tempting. I might go to a genius bar and ask them. I've heard sometimes they say it is fine, and they have even written down that their warranty will not be void.