PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp partition dissapeared

landog
5th October 2013, 08:34 AM
Hey folks hopefully you have some suggestions:

I woke up this AM and my windows partition (which I had left running) was showing "Disk error, press Ctrl Alt Del to restart".

I restarted and got the same.

So booted holding down the option and chose windows partion and get the same error

So i booted into the osx partition and cant see the windows partition in bootcamp assistant

So i started disk utility and cant do anything with the partition - i.e. read on google that resizing the partitions can often reset the boot MBR?

I created another partition and that didnt help either.

The only other thing i have read is getting hold of a win7 disc and repairing the partition, which I will do when i get home on Sunday.

I just wanted to check if you guys had any other ideas - i really only need to get a couple of key files of the partition - i dont care if i loose it after that. I have another mac here and a firewire cable so can put the problem machine into target disk mode - however when i did this it still didnt mount the windows partition in order for me to browse and get a couple of files.

Is there an OSX app i can download that could see the HD and access the windows partition somehow?

Any other recommendations?

Cheers

landog
5th October 2013, 09:05 AM
update im following from step 7 here to try and restore

Noah Coad – Get Mac OS back onto MacBook and keep Windows 7 Boot Camp partition (http://noahcoad.com/post/126/get-mac-os-back-onto-macbook-and-keep-windows-7-boot-camp-partition)

Steeley
5th October 2013, 11:25 AM
Shame I didn't catch this earlier. There's a program called Paragon NTFS that let's you read Windows drives on OSX. Might have been good enough for you to copy the vital files.

Good luck!

landog
7th October 2013, 07:27 AM
Hey Steeley.

Not to late mate. I dl P NTFS but alas because i cant mount the drive its cant see any volume :(

I have tried windows 7 dvd repair but even it cant see the partition. Pretty depressed....

Tried chkdsk, but it couldnt fix the MBR

I have dl data rescue 3 and am doing a deep scan...hopefully it will work. I have all my files backed up on dropbox except my pst's so its only 2 pst's i need. Welcome any other thoughts

Steeley
7th October 2013, 08:27 AM
Have you tried mounting it from terminal? Sometimes that works

landog
7th October 2013, 09:20 AM
landogair:~ landogair$ diskutil mount /dev/disk1s4
Volume on disk1s4 failed to mount
landogair:~ landogair$

Steeley
7th October 2013, 10:07 AM
I only have one other idea before I bow out because I have an inkling she's gone from this world. Do you know someone with a windows machine who could plug it in and try repairing it for you?

landog
7th October 2013, 11:11 AM
yeah that was my next thought... i have another mac with bootcamp on which i might try booting in to then put the laptop into Target disk mode and see if somehow it can see the partition...