PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS 8.6 boot disk

tempestas
6th September 2004, 08:56 PM
I used to do this all the time but its now fallen off my radar.

A friend is volunteering in a school and I am trying to build an 8.6 boot CD for the old 7600's they have. As I have a 7600 I thought this would be easy.

I have a nortons derived 8.5 boot cd and the 8.6 Update image, but every time I burn a cd with both 8.5 and 8.6 installs on it (on my Panther G4 ibook) it won't boot my 7600.

Frustration city

The System folder is there, with a finder in it, and I thought that blessing a system folder was not required post OS 7.1

There must be something I am forgetting.

Any advice greatfully accepted.

Cheers

Byrd
6th September 2004, 10:08 PM
Hi tempestas,

Do you have a working system installed on your own 7600? And if so, is that the one you're trying to burn on your 10.3 machine?

Sounds like, as you say, 10.3 unblessing the System 8.6 folder, and when going to burn it isn't bootable.

Hmm ... not sure what you could do to reverse this, you could consider dumping the system folder onto an external SCSI hard disk, or loaning your friend your own SCSI internal hard disk to get your machine going.

JB

Currawong
7th September 2004, 09:53 AM
The only way I'm capable of doing this myself is to set up an old Mac with a 500mb HFS hard disk onto which I copy everything, bless, then burn as a disk.

However, if the said HD was connected to OSX, see the "bless" command in Terminal. "man bless" for the instructions on how to use it. It might possibly work with mounted disk images, I don't know.

Buthidae
10th November 2004, 02:52 PM
Make sure there's a System file within the System Folder. Yesterday I was trying to do pretty much the same thing as you, but whenever I copied everything this file would get pulled out.

sad to say, I'm yet to find a solution...
anyone?

FiL
23rd November 2006, 07:17 PM
Its been a while since this was posted...

I am trying to make a bootable Mac OS 9 Disc for which I need to copy the System Folder and associated files to boot up the Mac in OS9 in case there was a HD crash...

I created a temporary partition labelled "System91CD" which I will burn on to a CD to use as the bootable OS9 Disc. I will be using the "Adeptec Toast" software running on the OS9 Mac to do the burning because it has an option to make a bootable System disc.

I followed the instructions to "bless" the system folder on the "System91CD" using Terminal.

I keyed in the following: ("$$> " is the system prompt)

$$> bless --verbose ;; so that I get a feedback of what is happening

$$> bless --folder9 "/Volumes/System91CD/System Folder" ;; the actual System Folder
;; that I want blessed

I get a response that says "Authorization required"

How do I enter my administrator login and password?

Thanks for your help

FiL

Currawong
23rd November 2006, 08:26 PM
put "sudo" in front of that command, eg: sudo bless --folder9 "/Volumes/System91CD/System Folder"

It'll ask you for your admin account password.

FiL
23rd November 2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks....

How do I specify "mount point" for the volume being blessed?

FiL

Currawong
23rd November 2006, 10:42 PM
/Volumes/System91C is the mount point. It's whatever you'd change directory to so as to get to the root directory of the disk.