PDA

View Full Version : Apple and mixed wireless?

matttt88
6th September 2004, 12:20 PM
i have a Netgear 54g wireless access point that i connect my latest 12" PowerBook and windows print server to wirelessly.

my friend brought his old 15" PowerBook which only has 802.11b wireless, it could not connect to the access point at all. not even as an open network with no security what so ever, he was running OSX server on it, we updated everything just to make sure, but still couldnt connect, could see the AP, couldnt connect though.

i dont have any other 802.11b cards to test the AP, the AP is meant to mix environments or at least if there is an 11b machine on it will slow everything down to that. just trying to work out if it was hist powerbook or my AP.

any ideas?

Disko
6th September 2004, 12:43 PM
does the netgear have a setting that switches on/off 11b compatibility? I know the airport base stations do...

OziMac
6th September 2004, 12:59 PM
When you say 'AP' what are you referring to?

Because, as said above, you need to ensure that the Netgear basestation is set to operate a mixed envronment, and not G-only.

Anyway, hope this works out for you.

matttt88
6th September 2004, 01:02 PM
it has the option for "g", "b" and "g and b"

it is set to g and b at the moment, i didnt get a chanve to try it on only b.

when i say AP i mean Access Point, its whta they are most commonly called, on OCAU and most computer stores call them AP's as well.

Jmi
6th September 2004, 02:25 PM
What's your model of the AP?
Netgear products are generally good with their own devices from my experiences,
and first of my moves is to get the latest firmware for the AP.
It might solve the problem.

In theory, Wifi-g standard goes on the same spectrum of b. It just goes faster but some manufacture's specifications do gives "g" the priority due to a protection mechanism in the g standards, thus shutting out "b" devices trying to get into the network.

Although you may have allowed "b" and "g", it may be the current firmware of your AP is not totally "correct". If you want, give the firmware a try.

No promises as like all firmware updates, there are risks. run a google on your model and see if there are others with the same problem as you.

pipsqeek
6th September 2004, 08:14 PM
My friend experienced a phenomenon once where his 802.11g network was running at 802.11b because one machine did.

The AP made everything else run on 11Mbps instead of 54Mbps.

This was just an observation though.

Steve

Gothikon
6th September 2004, 08:45 PM
There are a few AP's out there with dual antennas that can operate at b and g speeds simultaneously. Most operate at the speed of the slowest connected computer however, which usually means b.

Jmi
7th September 2004, 11:12 AM
I do think it works like the old modem bbs days
the slowest modem rules the p2p connection!! LOL!!

:lol:

I did read it somewhere about b will slow down the entire wifi network
and if it follows the old modem rules, every device in the network
would be forced to go on the slower speed. tat is IF the b device gets
access into the network.

Quamen
7th September 2004, 02:38 PM
yep. Whenever a b device connects the whole network is forced to run in b mode. Anyone with a g connections will have their bandwidth chopped :(

matttt88
7th September 2004, 03:55 PM
hmm, can anyone recommend a AP that has dual antennas for both B and G mixed at the same time?

i have seen quite a few but none have given details to how they work when it comes to mixing.

Jmi
7th September 2004, 10:06 PM
matt
if its for home use
its not worth the money even if there is such device..
besides, if your network is fairly new, and only have a few devices.
you can go ahead and buy all g standards. how many devices are potentiallly b
all the time??

Frankly speaking, unless u are doing huge file transfer
the speed differences is insignificant. I have only used b standards.
if speed is really the issue, the best way is still wired networks aka ethernet cables.

pipsqeek
7th September 2004, 11:11 PM
Well, best thing to do is visit one of our sponsors here at Appletalk.

The internet speed you have will not be effected by the speed of the network because the fastest net connection for home use (1500Kbps) is still 10 times slower then the 802.11b standard.

It will be more important when considering large file transfer between two or more computers.

If I have to do that, I use firewire anyway.

Judging by the responses since I posted last, then it is true. The network will run as slow or fast as the slowest node. Most WAP's that support both 8011b and g will run in mixed mode.

Mine is a Linksys WAP54G which supports both, which I need because the ibook is Airport (802.11b) and I have a Linksys WMP54G running inside my G4 450Mhz tower...great!!! its 802.11g in an old mac.

Steve

matttt88
7th September 2004, 11:23 PM
thanks all, and my net connection is bigpond cable, which on average from a good server is 400-600KB/s, got 1200KB/s once or twice. so thats why i dont really want it to slow down. and my friends all have laptops with 11b wifi :(

oh well... not a big drama. thanks all anyway :)

pipsqeek
8th September 2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by matttt88@Sep 7 2004, 11:23 PM
......net connection is bigpond cable, which on average from a good server is 400-600KB/s, got 1200KB/s once or twice. so thats why i dont really want it to slow down. and my friends all have laptops with 11b wifi.........
1200KB/s will be theoretically the maximum transfer speed with 802.11b. Which is still fine, considering you average 400 - 600KB/s

I assume you mean Kilobytes? or Kilobits, very big difference.

Steve

Quamen
8th September 2004, 12:20 PM
It's definately less than the speed of the 802.11b connection. Australia's broadband services are quite backwards compared to some places, there's nothing in Australia that will be bottlenecked by the 802.11b standard short of a commercial site installation that nobody would have at home :)

Jmi
8th September 2004, 02:36 PM
Hang on a moment people, I may have read and understand wrongly but
your wireless network speed and speed of your ISP internet is 2 different issues.

Cable is faster than ADSL but in a wireless network, the speed is still the same.

Home network
internet <-> ISP <-> Cable / ADSL <-> ethernet or wireless router/switch <-> pc

ethernet networks (wired) can reach to gigabit but in most cases, its 100 Mbps (bits)
wireless networks in "b" standards are Max 11Mbps (22Mbps for D-Link devices)
wireless networks in "g" standards are Max 54Mbps.

Your speed of your ISP will determine you speed, that is true but your internal network on a wireless is never going to be faster than 11/22(B) or 54(g). Wired networks are max speed of 100Mbps (gigabit networks are 1000 but it works on slower speed rules as i mention b4). If you plug a "b" wireless device in a "g" wireless network, the entire network may be forced to go at 11Mbps rather than 54Mbps max. (Other factors like distance and walls are disregarded in this.)

Your network speed is the speed of packets transfer from your pc to the router and to the modem which then uses the speed of your internet connection (cable or adsl) out to the WWW. They are 2 different speed. To have the fastest speed to get a page would be have a super fast cable internet connection and run a gigabit wired network.

Even if you got Cable internet but if your internal network has an old 10Mbps switch and running a very very long cable (speed slows down in length of cable), it will still be slow regardless of how fast your internet speed is.

Its like having a fast process but a old motherboard with a slow bus.

Quamen
8th September 2004, 04:01 PM
I think you&#39;ve misunderstood.

The point here is that any internet connection you can get to your house in Australia is slower than the 802.11b standard. Meaning that the speed your web pages load, and your download speeds won&#39;t be effected whether you are on 802.11b or 802.11g or gigabit or ethernet or whatever.

The bandwidth used by your internet connection on the 802.11b standard will never be more than 1/10th of the 802.11b pipe.

So the only speed differences you will notice will be when transfering files, from one computer to another.

matttt88
10th September 2004, 08:33 PM
well if my network was slowed down to b standard, and i had full signal, i would be getting the same speed as my internet connections max speed, but i will never get full speed when i am more than a few rooms from the AP, meaning i may only get 200kb/s from it, when i could be enjoying double that regually, even tripple or more on a good day.

Quamen
10th September 2004, 08:56 PM
What internet connection do you have? Because as far as I know, nothing currently available in Australia would realistically use up more than 10% of the b standards available bandwidth.

matttt88
10th September 2004, 10:02 PM
if you read through this thread i said earlier that i have BigPond cable... and have reached speeds of over 1mb/s before with ease. but most of the time from a number of sources i can get at least 300to400kb/s

Windows and Mac updates are some of the fastest. peaking at 800KB/s just about all the time

Quamen
10th September 2004, 10:14 PM
you max speed of 1mb/s is 1/10th of the 11mb/s that the b standard does.

matttt88
11th September 2004, 12:37 AM
there is a difference between mega bit and mega byte, i was referring to megabyte&#33;